ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

ADBTuner won't support anything other than android-based streamers (the A in ADB stands for android). There are Roku discussions in the HDMI for Channels thread.

Android players are better than any Roku.
I have both.
The Roku is great for someone who just wants to watch stuff but it doesn't have any real power.
if you are going to buy that device, might just as well buy that little ONN box.
The devices are better than Roku and they are super cheap.

Right, it's just that with Spectrum as a provider, there is no Spectrum app for an android or fire tv streamer (only Roku). I think CC4C is probably the best option if one stays with Spectrum and you want to be able to work with more than just the NBC channels (and NBC apps). I do have an Intel 10th gen Celeron CPU system laying around, not powerful at all, but am hoping perhaps Intel Quick Sync can perhaps be utilized for hardware encoding with CC4C. Quick Sync works great to transcode video you are sending out over WAN. I need to post this in CC4C thread. I think I just have to dive in and start tinkering.

Spectrum does work with Stremium.

Get a free account or one of those cheap plans and add your spectrum log in details.
If Stremium can log in and you can watch content, the streams aren't encrypted.
They already work with Philo and FRNDLY.

4 Likes

I guess I'm not understanding what Stremium would do for me to get either DRM or non-TVE Spectrum channels into Channels DVR like CC4C would? I'm not interested in moving away from CDVR.

EDIT: Ohh, perhaps you are saying to set up Stremium with Spectrum and then use either a Fire TV or Onn android streamer to play the Spectrum channels using Stremium app (non-DRM only). Hmmm.

That just made me think of something else, I was reading that Fire TV can use a Silk browser and for Onn device some are using JioPages browser. That would be cool, to be able to use Spectrum http links in a browser with these devices. Too bad I'm not a programmer!

Yesterday I was recording USA network and I usually check it 5 mins before recording but the dumb NBC pop for showing ad for a new show and is there something y'all are doing to combat this? It ended up ruining the whole entire recording.

1 Like

I don't use NBC for this reason. I pull them from Fubo. Or use whoever your provider is.

2 Likes

I'm using YTTV to pull in NBC and it is working great.

I'm interested in trying this. I would love to get SyFy and some other channels back into ChannelsDVR. I have a QNAP NAS. I am not very knowledgeable in the operations of getting docker images installed and configured though.

I have 'containers' installed and running. I found the adbtuner image in the docker repo and it loaded. It did not ask me for any info to get it to create.

Is anyone here able to give me a little detail how to install and configure this basically to start properly with QNAP? Once installed, I know I can config the settings of tuners. I have YTTV service.

I'm using the ADBTuner docker myself.
What services do you subscribe to?
i'm using two ONN 4k boxes with 2 Exvist hdmi encoders.
In my experience, YTTV seems to work the best.
Philo is a close second.
If you can get resolution set properly, the picture can look pretty good.
you should have an interface available for setting up your devices.
http://serverip:5592.
I know a lot of folks here have had a lot of experience. We have plenty of good input from the group.
The end goal
Your ADB Tuner will send commands to the Android boxes using ADB.
What service do you have?

thanks

First off, I wanna say this seems great. I have some initial questions I was hoping someone could answer. This seems like a solution for those to get back the TVE channels lost with the DRM issues and other sources all into a single Channels guide.

I have the Channels DVR yearly plan because I want all my content in one guide. I am already running Docker for Windows for ESPN Plus. So I wanna make sure I understand devices required and connections. I’ve seen different encoders recommended in this thread. What’s the advantage of say a 4 port one versus a single port one? How do you know what you need? You need an Android box like the Onn box or Fire TV option too? And as far as device setup, the Android box needs to be connected to the tv and the encoder device? Does the Encoder need to be connected back to the device running docker?

I’m of course interested in getting the stations back I lost, I also have NFL Sunday ticket I’d like to get into the Channels guide, plus if there is a possibility of my locals that are in ATSC 3.0 through my HD Home Run OTA device but have DRM and are currently unwatchable in Channels at least. What equipment do I need?

Also, does this work with Direct TV Stream or mainly just YouTube TV?

@Mulliganman I've been using ADBTuner since the beginning and it really has been working great for me. I've got most all of my YTTV TVE channels mapped into ChannelsDVR.

I started with a singe channel encoder but quickly realized that I would need more channels so I bought a 4 channel encoder. I was watching & recording several channels concurrently so that is why I needed the 4-port encoder. In real life use I've only used 3 channels at a time (watching one, and recording two).

The encoder has an ethernet connection that you would need to connect to a spare port on your router. The device just needs to be on the same network and does not need to be physically connected to the computer running ChannelsDVR or device running Docker.

Whatever streamer device you choose (FireTV, Onn, etc.), it can connect via WIFI for hardwired into the network.

1 Like

DTVStream and Prime Premium Channels work great with the ah4c project, but they're slower to tune as they use remote control emulation. I use both myself, to fill-in channels not available using TVE.

This project, ADBTuner, works great with apps and services that support deep links. YTTV, Hulu, Fubo and Sling are all possible.

2 Likes

The apps that are knkown to work so far are as follows.

*Fubo TV

• Philo
  • YTTV (very stable and works great with my Android Onn boxes).
  • Xfinity Stream
  • Sling
  • Hulu Live (service tends to pop up nag screens and the system may log out all your devices and you won't know until you try to tune a channel).

The apps being used have to support deep linking. I'm personally using Philo and YTTV.

1 Like

Add XFINITY Stream.

1 Like

NBC App also support deep linking.

The NBC News app also works, if you were just trying to catch MSNBC. I have not seen the same pop up ad in the News app that sometimes shows in the NBC App.

Wait, what's this about exactly?

1 Like

Does this happen on the pc streaming too? never heard of it?

The NBC App for Android has all the NBCU channels, such as MSNBC, USA, E! Network, etc. It supports deep links and is reliable for the tuner. However, the app sometimes has a popup banner that overlays on the video and can obscure recordings.

This banner has been discussed here (source of above picture): ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices - #295 by krazijoe?

My use case was to record MSNBC occasionally. So I did not have to look out for the banner, started using the NBC News APP. So far, I have not seen the banner.