ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

No I don't, i was reading if I wanted to get NBC then either ADB or Chrome Capture would be the best bet.

Both are certainly options, but both have hardware requirements to be contended with. This project uses dedicated hardware HDMI encoders to capture the output of one or more supported Android streaming devices.

Chrome capture doesn't require an encoder, but often people end up using dedicated PCs to do the job. This project in essentially infinitely scalable in terms of virtual tuners (by adding encoders) -- cc4c (Chrome Capture) is not.

1 Like

It seems like people that are just starting out on ADBTuner are having a hard time getting their head around the hardware setup so I quickly made up a sample configuration (I'm no artist!).

In this setup, the FireStick and Onn devices are connected via WiFi and the Mecool device on ethernet. Channels and ADBTuner may exist on the same host device but I show it as two boxes.

3 Likes

It's worth reminding that the Onn boxes require the use of WiFi for this project to work. They won't work with Ethernet, if that is your desire. However this limitation does not exist with the Chromecasts with Google TV, or the Fire devices. This wasn't a big deal to me, WiFi is working fine, but it's something to keep in mind when collecting ingredients for a new setup.

1 Like

I did finally get a URay 4K encoder up an running. After a few encoder config variations, I was able to get a stream of NFL Network with a smooth text crawl on the bottom. Which is nice. Thanks all, for the feedback. :grinning:

1 Like

Is anyone successfully using ADBTuner with Fubo? If so, what Android devices are you using?

I posed a couple of weeks ago about problems I was having using 1st generation, Fire TV Max 4ks. I've been tied up with other things so hadn't done much since then. I finally had to time to experiment some more and broke out an older, Fire TV 4k (No Max).

I noticed immediately that the plani 4k had a different app that looked like little more than a wrapper for the Fubo web interface. It is listed as version 4.75.0. The app for the 4k Max looks like a full-fledged, Android app. It's listed as version 5.4.0.

I configured the plain 4k with ADBTuner and, lo and behold, it worked like a champ. At least I've got one device working now. So refininig my original question, is anyone successfully using ADBTuner with the newer, Fubo app? If not, are there plans to support the new app? I'm more than willing to help test and provide any debug information.

Are you using the Experimental build of ADB Tuner/
I believe the extra stuff for working with the Fubo app is in the build.
The software detects the who's watching thing.
Not sure if you have the base version of the other testing version.

1 Like

That was it! Thank you very much. I guess I'd assumed those changes were already folded into latest by now.

I switched over to the experimental version and it seems to work.

1 Like

Yeah, I gave the onn boxes a try but couldn't get the ethernet to work reliably. Funny enough I had one of the old versions from like 2020 and it works like a charm. I was able to get a great deal on the Chromecast 4K''s at Costco and haven't looked back. They work instantly with the ethernet adapters I have. I bought some PoE USB C power adapters that I'm hoping will work as well but they haven't arrived. I hope to have the new encoders today or Monday and will get everything setup. Once I have a chance to test everything I'll post some links of everything I bought.

I think it would be great to do some videos targeted at existing channel users who keep complaining about losing stuff on TVE.
if one is a frequent user of the software, there will come a time where one will need to setup alternative options for bringing in signals from services.

How are you accessing NFL Network?

Through the Hulu app.

Actually, I watched the Dolphin/Chiefs game on Sunday, and there was a bit of judder every few seconds, or so. So, looks like I have some more encoder tweaking to do. I would appreciate any suggestions on settings. These are the settings I had earlier with a smooth text crawl. I wanted to have the fps be "same as input" but for some reason I was still seeing stutter on the NFL Network when set that way.

Here is what I set mine to. I Think the higher bit rate causes the jitter.
Try lowering it. I seen some bit rates on OTA Channels much lower

Here is what I'm using, although mine isn't a 4K version. I found that the H.264 level made a big difference on lower-end hardware. High profile caused studdering on an older Apple TV, so I backed things down to "main."

1 Like

This is mine and I think it's pretty good.

I vaguely remember reading that your GOP should match your FPS. I will need to see if I can dig up where I read it. So I have mine set to 60 and haven't had any issues.

1 Like

Has anyone been able to get Thursday Night Football (Prime Video) to work with ADBTuner?

Since we're sharing, here's mine - I recommend leaving fps = same as input

1 Like

The encoder from eBay has arrived and the first impression is so far so good. Shipping wasn't too bad either, while it's not prime it only took about 10 days to make it over the pond. It's not the XE4D one but it looks very similar. I cannot tell the difference between this device and the URayCoder. Now I am going to do some burn in testing and run it for a few days straight and see how it handles the load. If there's anything specific you'd like me to test let me know.

Current Setup
2x 4 Channel Encoders
8x Chromecast 4K with Google TV with USB-C ethernet adapters - I have PoE power adapters coming