ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

I am running 2 Onn 4K sticks currently and see the same thing...Mine will also just bring the authenticate screen back up sometimes even when I reclick remember and OK...So when I get a chance anymore I just hit cancel instead and they still tune fine.

I believe mine will still tune when called on even with this screen up...but I just cleared them the other day so it has not popped back up the authentication yet. I will verify that they do tune when showing this next time I see it. I only clear this screen if I am on the system doing something else because it annoys me...lol

I am trying to get multiple Onn 4k devices setup with a LinkPi ENC5-v2 encoder, but I've been struggling with getting the devices to work correctly. It "works" but the video on the second device is dim, however, this is only the case when I launch the NBC app streams via ADB.

I'm using the following command:
adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.VIEW -d "nbctve://live/msnbc" com.nbcuni.nbc.androidtv

The only post I could find that mentioned dimming in the forums spoke of it being dim every other time, which is not the case for me. Its always dim on the second device, and the first device is always good. I have also tried playing with every YpCbCr8-bit setting and HDR disabling I could find to no avail.

Note, the same problem occurs even if its launched from ADBTuner (which makes sense since its sending the exact same ADB command). If I launch the channel manually from the NBC App Guide via the remote, it looks correct.

I have tried multiple ports on the linkpi and even directly connecting the device to the TV. None of these have helped. The second device is dim and the first device looks good.

I have gone setting by setting through every menu of the decides and they are configured identically.
I have also reset the second device back to factory settings more times than I can count.
I have also tried an old Tivo Stream device and it was also dim for the NBC app only when tuned via ADB. I had the same problem on a FireTV, which is why I bought the second Onn device. I think its something in the NBC app itself though, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

To confirm you are running 1080P right?

Yes, 1080p60, and it happens whether i'm connected to the LinkPi or Directly to the TV.

The NBC Logo at the top of the screen is nice and bright, even when the rest of the picture is dim, and when I tune with the remote, it looks good.

I purchased a third Onn 4k device and it is also dim. So, 1 good setup and 2 dim.

ADB Authorization Update...Still looking for solution

Still have not figured out what causes it to bring back up the authorization when I have already told it to remember the connections.

Today both my Onn-4k devices brought up the authorization screens and refused to tune with ADBTuner.
They didn't seem to want to respond with the remote when I hit enable/ok or cancel today so I rebooted both and then could exit out of the authoriztions screens...later when it came back up i quickly repeatedly hit cancel and after 4 times quickly in a row it cleared.
Like you I had these same problems when I ran Firetv sticks in the past.

Still unable to figure out why it brings these screens back up at this time...
If any one has any additional ideas I am willing to test them

I thought I would once again also try to run the Onn's with ethernet with wifi disabled to see if it would be more reliable...
But this continues to be a huge issue and unworkable (On the Onn's today and Firesticks in the past)...I attempted to use 5 diferent ethernet adaptors (Amazon FireStick Adaptor, CableMatters, Ugreen, oassuose, SMAYS)
They will not get an ethernet connection as long as ADB Debugging is enabled. Even when I change the "Select USB Configuration" setting in Developer Menu to "RDNS (USB Ethernet). As soon as you reboot it changes it back to "Charging" but at no time before or after reboot does it get an ethernet connection.

As soon as I disable USB Debugging AND REBOOT. It has no problems getting an ethernet connection with ALL 5 Adaptors...but is unable to communicate with ADBTuner of course.
When I re-enable ADB Debugging it still does NOT work..And if I then reboot it the ethernet stops working.
I don't believe I have ever got both Ethernet and ADB debugging working at the same time on either the FireTV sticks or ONN devices. I may consider moving to devices with hardware ethernet in the future to see if they also have this reauthorization issue.

ADB and Ethernet work fine together on the Firestick 4K Max and Max 2 -- I've been using one or the other without issue since this time last year. In fact, I use PoE compatible Ethernet adapters.

ADB and Ethernet together do not survive a reboot on the ONN 4K device. This made the ONN devices useless to me since I operate everything remotely 6 months out of the year.

@bnhf

Do you have any Ideas on the ADB Debugging coming back up?

I am also finding the Onn-4k's to be frustrating at times.
I have only used the FireTv and FireTv 4k sticks and both have been frustrating to me on/off for the last year or so...lol
That's what I get for trying to save a few bucks.

The FireTV 4k Max looks interesting especially with double the storage but I have concerns with the fact that Amazon is looking at moving their stuff to their own operating system not based on Android that will probably be locked down even more if I was betting.
I may give one of the FireTv 4k Max's a try just because I can't help myself... :grinning:

I continue to be very happy with how well your bnhf/ah4c:appletv docker continues to work with my Spectrum TV channels. I may look and see if the Apple Tv's support deep links for Philo and Pluto and if they do...see if I can add them to my current docker or spinning up another one. I have picked up multiple Apple TV 4th gen and Apple TV 4k for $35-$45 on ebay from our previous discussions.

1 Like

The oonn boxes work great here.
I'm only using wi-fi connectivity however, i do have room on the hub for wired connections but i don't believe it isn't necessary.
When i use the remote to work with the USB permission, i find there is a delay created by my monitoring of the box through the adapter/web interface.
The delay can be a little slow but all seems to work out.
I'v found that Philo and YTTV are the best so far.

@rpaulmerrell
Do you have the experience of the USB debugging screen popping up at times and preventing it from working at times?

I've had the experience of the usb prompt popping up.
Usually it will either show on the channels when tuning a channel or i will bet a tuning error and have to log into my encoder and see what is up.
I'm got the 2 remotes in the drawer easily available for those times.
Kind of annoying.
I'm wondering if the devices install updates overnight?
The boxes have been solid for me.

1 Like

I have 3 ONN 4k boxes and 1 ONN 4k pro. I will tell you what works for me and I never get adb reauths.

1. Abandon ethernet for the ONN devices. These devices cannot use adb and usb ethernet at the same time. Yes it can work but only after a specific order procedure. It will not survive a reboot. My ONN 4k pro however uses adb over ethernet perfectly.

2. Enable screen always on when awake

3. Disable sleep

I use my setup with youtube tv and it works perfectly.

2 Likes

I'd follow @slampman's suggestions, as my comments are based strictly on experience with ah4c -- which uses the standard Linux adb executable. ADBTuner uses a Python adb library, which I'm sure is solid, but it's not a 100% apples-to-apples comparison.

@slampman
@bnhf

I do run them with wifi...I was just testing the ethernet again because I was in there anyhow and thought I would retest. I already have it set to stay awake and not sleep. Currently using ADBTuner with my Philo channels...

Not sure why I get the Debug coming back up still at times. Family really gets upset when they want to record/watch something and it doesn't work...I may spin up a copy of ah4c with a single Onn 4k to see if it also gets the debug pop up with the linux adb

1 Like

@slampman
I am running turtletank99/adbtuner:latest
Is that what you are running also?

Im using the experimental but i dont think there is any difference now.

Here is my portianer stacks snip for refrence

adbtuner:
    container_name: adbtuner
    image: turtletank99/adbtuner:experimental 
#    image: turtletank99/adbtuner
    restart: unless-stopped
    init: true
    volumes:
      - adbtuner:/app/.config
    networks:
      enp9s0-IoT-macvlan:
        ipv4_address: 192.168.12.17

My adbtuner setup has been running great. I'm using a cable HDhomerun and I get all my channels.
I decided to get a new hdmi encoder because I noticed some artifacts on the stream. I got a linkpi and installed it today. I just changed the encoder setting on my adbtuner and started testing it. It seems to try to tune just fine, but then there is video loss. The encoder seems to be fine because I can view it via vlc just fine. I switched back to the old encoder and it's all good again. Do I have to do something on the channels dvr side after I switch the encoder on the adbtuner?

Where do you find this option? I can find the disable sleep option but not this one.

@Gregg_K

What are you encoding settings on the LinkPi compared to the old encoder?
Here is mine...

It's my understanding that ADBTuner just passes the stream link back to CDVR without changing it so maybe new encode settings not working well with client hardware.

@cyoungers
Not sure on other devices...

On the Onn 4K this is what I did to keep it from sleeping and I never see it shut off. The screens just stays on the Home screen when not streaming...of course it still gets the adb reauthorization sometimes...

In Ambient Mode...Make sure that Google Photos, Art Gallery, and Experimental are not selected:

Under Power &Energy...Select Never

Under Developer options... Turn on Stay Awake

I may delete the remembered saved ADB authorizations on one of the devices and relearn it to see what that does.
If that doesn't work may resent to factory and see if that fixes it...

1 Like

I tried keeping the exact same settings from the old encoder to the new linkpi. I will try your settings, and I guess keep trying settings till it works. I did notice one thing in the log file.
httpx - HTTP Request: GET http://172.16.5.63/live/stream0 "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently"
as compared to the one that works.
httpx - HTTP Request: GET http://172.16.5.53/ts/1_0 "HTTP/1.0 200 Ok"

1 Like