ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices

@Gregg_K
I know they supposedly fixed it but the "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/live/stream0" used to cause lots of problems with the linkpi.
I still use the port in the address... http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8090/stream0 in ADBTuner...The /live/stream0 just does a redirect to :8090/stream0
It would work in VLC but cause problems when fed to CDVR through ADBTuner

I too was playing the dance on the Onn4k of "startup with ADB Debugging off and the USB Port set to Ethernet. Then enable ADB." Then I setup in ADB tuner both the wired and wireless IPs, that way if it unexpectedly rebooted, it would failover to wireless. I had them plugged into a UPS so this was even more unlikely. I set the wireless to be a lower priority to wired, but this since it doesn't connect to wifi when ethernet is present this probably wasn't needed.

Anyway, I've decided to switch to the Onn 4k Pro devices with built-in ethernet and simplify my life. By the time you factor in USB Ethernet adapters (I've not had good luck with adapting USB-C adapters, I've had better luck with the true USB-A type), and an OTG adapter, its only about $15 more for the Onn4k Pro.

Additionally regarding my issues with dimming on the NBC app, I tried YoutubeTV and it was the proper brightness, so I'm just going to go this way.

1 Like

Decided to do a quick test on my setup. I too am seeing washed video when launched from ADB, but fine when opened manually with remote. Looks to be some sort of overlay problem with the menu. When the menu/guide loads, it dims the picture in the background, which is normal. When ADB launched, I think the APP is getting confused as there is no clearing of menu overlay due to no remote action. Not sure what the fix may be, seems a quirk of the APP itself.

Yes, I agree it being the NBC app itself, although it's weird one of the Onn 4k's works fine. I also did a dumpsys on the window manager and nothing jumped out at me. The 164 lines are virtually identical, other than different object memory addresses. There was a minor difference of an alpha setting on the bad one in Window #1. I believe this is below the NBC main activity, which is Window #2. They both had the same 4 window layers.

I also did a dump on the activities and the good one is using a LivePlayerFragment versus a LiveFragment. But I don't know how to do anything with this info to fix it. I also tried a FireTV stick and an old Tivo Stream 4k I had laying around, and they had the same dimming issue.

Wow, that was it, after I switched it to that, it works. Now the fun part begins, trying to find the best quality settings :slight_smile: Thanks

Have you updated ADBTuner in a while? That LinkPi redirect was fixed. It should look as follows in the logs as it follows the redirect:

httpx - HTTP Request: GET http://192.168.xx.xxx/live/stream0 "HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently"
httpx - HTTP Request: GET http://192.168.xx.xxx:8090/stream0 "HTTP/1.0 200 OK"

I will do some testing with the Onn 4k device this weekend to see if I can duplicate this. I know it happens from time to time on all devices, but it shouldn't be a frequent thing. ADBTuner always reuses the same public key so the fingerprint should not change.

The NBC app is just always buggy. I wonder if there is an old version that can be side loaded that doesn't have this bug?

1 Like

Can't see to get USA East to load now. It's showing USA West. Was workign fine last night but today it's all hosed up.

This is my setting.

FYI...
One of my 2 Onn 4k tuners was displaying the ADB Debug popup this morning (less than 24 hours after clearing them). When it went to tune with the other tuner it briefly showed the popup (on the encoder feed I was monitoring) before tuning the channel. Now both are showing the popup on the home screen. ADBTuner continues to tune with both Onn
4k's without issue. They both continue to display the popup when on the home screen.

At least on my units...They both continue to tune fine even with this popup so not really a huge issue...I will continue to monitor and let you know if they start to refuse to tune after days/weeks. Thanks for all the great work on this project. :+1:

Is anyone else having issues with the USA_EAST feed and it only showing USA_WEST?

There was some discussion of PBS live stream in this thread. You can't do it with ADBTuner, but there is now PBS app scripting for ah4c.

1 Like

Agreed, I use an ONN box and it works great with Wi-Fi, no issues whatsoever and no ADB permission pop-ups.

The NBC android app is definitely buggy, it will often crash on a live channel launch and I had to modify my script to try multiple times to get it to run. I also have a keepalive script that runs on a regular basis to make sure that the app is running when it is supposed to.

Has anyone figured out if there is a deeplink scheme for the LocalNow app?

Yeah, I haven't updated it since I got it working perfectly. I'm afraid if I update it, it will break it :slight_smile:

I'm using the updated version and it works great.
I'm able to use Philo without compadibility mode. YTTV channels come up dast.
I'm not a current subscriber but they are so common and like to keep options open.

1 Like

This looks like output from an ah4c script. Are you sure you're posting in the right thread?

thank you, early morning

I see the same thing using adbtuner. I have to every so often check the outputs of the 4 boxes to see if one or more want to be reauthorized. I can't seem to find a pattern and I think I have all setup with the preferred settings.

I have 2 Mecool boxes on ethernet and a Chromecast and Onn4K on WiFi if that makes a difference. They all have lost ADB auth at one point or another.

Thankfully, ADBTuner seamlessly handles the failure case and switches over to the next available tuner so I've not lost a scheduled recording.

1 Like

Looks like an update to the NBC app has screwed up the video, when you tune a live channel it's somewhat dimmed and you see the NBC live and your profile icons at the top.

Sigh. Tried a few key combinations on the ONN tuner to try to get these to go away with no luck, if anyone else has ideas please chime in. This is the biggest problem with relying on POS network apps unfortunately.

It’s not just you. This was noticed a few weeks back (scroll up a bit). Definitely the app. We have not found a solution yet.

1 Like