Add local nbc channel 4 los angeles to tve?

I rescanned all channels, the rest are here, but KNBC is now gone.

I'll work on it. The website defaults to logging me in as my spectrum account, so I'll start there. Good 'ole Spectrum, probably the culprit, here we go again.

Thanks

It's kind of an interesting twist, and I know the feeling. For so long I've enjoyed skipping commercials via DVRs but when they're gone completely and replaced weirdly by that screen, especially when TV's just kinda playing in the background, it can be kind of jarring. "Did the TV just turn off?" lol

I also think it's weird that the TV ad execs and bean counters haven't figured out how to monetize that air time with localized, personalized commercials already?!?!

Welcome, I'm learning from this thread too, so thanks!

That articles is contradictive and also is NOT from the FCC at all, but a comment article by "wealthmanagement" giving an update on the proposal, which had not been approved at time of publication. Furthermore, it is from 1999. I bet it has been changed or amended.

Moreso, it goes on to say that landlords can have reasonable rules regarding antennas and can rules against installing them in "Common areas" on side of building, roofs, or balconies etc. Check ones lease or rental agreement, and most often, one patio/balcony IS considered a common area, and thus, not allowed to install "a permanent fixture including antennas, or satellite dishes" and have stipulations not allowing anything that screws into or any fashion damages existing structure or building materials. Check your lease and building rules, as you may have already signed agreement not allowing your to install a antenna or dish. (such things have been common for over a decade in my area for any multi dwelling complex)

(this is the normal laws outside CA....i am speaking generally for anyone who reads this thread in the future and tries to "fight" their landlord. I do not reside in CA)

Been down this road years back with my buildings management when i dumbed cable and was setting up OTA. I bought a large flat indoor/outdoor antenna, Moho Ranger i think, turns out, main OTA antenna is due East, and my back bedroom window faces that way, mounted it inside on the wall space above the window between the ceiling and the window frame, the drapes cover the whole thing up. Get all channels with 100% signal save a few that transmit on tower much farther away and west direction.

Also, it may be worth trying to convince the property management to install or retro fit existing coax wiring to support a single OTA roof mounted antenna that services the whole complex. There are companies that specialize in that kinda thing, and the cost is often not has high as one would think, especially low if complex uses a set standard wiring setup already. A large complex down the block from me had this done, cost was just under $1K in total to retro fit and have dual setup for units, Cable or ota on their wire. Of course, this also can give the property management cause to then add a extra charge to the tenants rent to though. In that case, it a $5 a month charge to access to the antenna.

In regards to the OPs issues getting OTA stations via TVE, I have stated a few times in other threads, users experience varies wildly. For me, the experimental feature, is rightly named. And it has been so since i stared using Channels years ago. Very unreliable in my experience, hence why i chose to not use it and try an antenna, lucky for me, i can use one easy as am pretty close to main transmitter tower, and being in a 3rd floor(top floor) unit, that helps alot for indoor placement.

OTA TVE seems to depend on the TVE provider(s) you have. I have Philo as primary TVE, but that does not have any local channels. I have access to Xfinty and Direct tv logins, so i guess those are the sources that worked for me on OTA TVE... but often got failed to tune errors, or the chans would just disappear at random.
I think YTTV has OTA channels via TVE???
The only internet streaming of OTA channels that worked reliably with Channels was Locast, but, was very low quallity streams, and service is long gone now, shutdown.

From an individual who has worked in property management, and as a member of a professional association dealing with MDUs in general, the law has not changed,

OTA broadcasts are public airways, and their access from the public is protected.

If you can cite any superseding USC to support your fearmongering, please do so. But if you cannot, then please cease from making the current dire state into an abyss.

The article linked is not from FCC site, but some random unrelated site. nor is there a link to source in article. Thus, not a valid "proof" you can just print out and give to landlord. And to address your claims, which is now off topic to OP, real world, practically speaking, does not matter if you can prove to said landlord something, does not mean it will make you able to do what you want.
As i said, already in law here, for over a decade, landlords can set rules for public or shared spaces, and no antenna/dish rules are legal in those cases when they deem a patio or balcony as such. It can vary though, based on the design of the building. For example, another property owned by the same management as mine, those units patios are mostly fully enclosed and are labeled as private and part of the tennats space, not a shared or public space, thus, they are allowed to have things that our property can not.

Patios and balconies are not "shared" spaces in any sense of CA law. If you can point to any case law favoring your view I will concede ... but also note that CA us one of the few states where tenants have almost more rights than landlords.

My point has been made, and legal arguments with those without standing is pointless. Enjoy your further discussions, but I'm done.

1 Like

I guess i should have clarified, not talking about CA specifically, and anyone knows, CA is the weird law state in the USA, and is the exception to literally every other state.

THank you and here is what i mean.

"The OTARD rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit."

If your landlord has designated your patio/balcony as common area, this law/protections does not apply.
This is what i ran into trying to fight with my landlord.

(at this point, mods, feel free to move these related posts to its own thread if it is cluttering up this thread too much now.)

@tmm1
Since the OP has Sling and Spectrum as TVE Source Providers, which one is used to authenticate the experimental local channels?
Is it the highest priority source, or does it auth with each Provider separately?

I'm thinking if he knows which Provider (Sling or Spectrum) gets him the station he wants, we can tell him how to fix it.

Each one separately

1 Like

Wow, I was away for a day (really busy) and this thread took off with a life of it's own.

If I may state the "not so obvious" to people arguing about rights... they don't mean anything anymore in the United States. If I do something my landlord doesn't like, they can just make up any lame excuse to evict me. They can just say neighbors are complaining about noise or whatever. In this day and age, lies and accusations are enough to destroy people's lives. I've learned to keep my head down. I am not about to do something my landlord doesn't like, whether it's "legal" or not. Common sense, really.

As for the technical discussion, yes, I started with Spectrum tve first, and got the KNBC channel. I've added/changed sources so many times, probably like all of you. I have docker running on my server and the containers providing source lists for Samsung, Stirr and Pluto. I've also added Sling TV and actually prefer this one because of actual commercials instead of the dead "we'll be back" screen.

Note to devs: @tmm1 can we get an option to DISABLE a source, instead of deleting it? It would be nice to disable a source, because I'm still doing lots of testing, and have to go dig thru notes every time I re-add a former source.

Thanks for all the replies, I need to read it all, on my first cup of coffee here, so only one eye open :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

Add a vote here - this is an often-requested item

See if each of your providers allows you to stream KNBC.

1. Using a browser on your DVR server or device on your LAN in Private/Incognito mode
  2. Go to https://www.nbc.com/mvpd-picker
  3. When the page opens, if it asks if Spectrum or Sling is your provider, choose no
  4. Pick Spectrum and see if it shows and streams KNBC
  5. Unlink from Spectrum at the site and close the browser
    Repeat steps 1-5 using Sling

Once you have Spectrum and Sling added as TVE sources, do the update password trick to both Spectrum and Sling sources by using Update Password under the gear dropdown next to your sources in the DVR web UI and just key in your existing Provider password to clear the chromedata folder

Now toggle the experimental TVE local option off and on and let it scan for locals

Thank you for this post!

Well, I got 2 out of 3 working now. The local KNBC and FOX channels are now working, but ABC fails, but that's okay, nothing good on ABC anyways :slight_smile:

Strange though, our roku boxes get KNBC too, but with that horrible dead "we'll be right back" screen of death.

We're using paid Sling TV ($60/mo), and using the TVE option, most channels, including the locals, have commercials, so no dead sound breaks. My family is happy again.

Thanks again everyone, it's a real learning experience, for sure, but it's really nice to have all this control over what we watch, and with minimal costs. Strange how I'm now willing to pay monthly fee to get commercials LOL!

Sling is bad on TVE.
The channels provided on Sling over, say, Youtube TV will vary slightly.
I saw an issue with NBC and FOX where they provided a very different experience.
I saw the NBC issue some time ago.
I had to update my app location to get things to come back properly.