Adding YoutubeTV to FreeNAS 11.2 Channels Plugin

Awesome.. I will just wait on that update then! Thanks for your hard work.

I have my jails stored in a different pool, but the default behavior is that iocage jails are stored in your main volume.

Even when you have everything in one pool your storage should be outside of you jails dataset, it will look something like this...

-Storage (Main Volume)
  -Storage
     -DVR
  -Jails
    -Channels

I haven't used the plugin but I do know that most plugins still require the user to add storage to the jail (mounting a dataset outside of the jail).

@tmm1 I assume this is how the plugin works, he should be creating his own storage dataset for the DVR and mounting it correct?

Where do you upload the plugin pbi? I've never used plugins but wanted to test it out.

The PBI system was only for FreeNAS 9.

I've updated the instructions on our site to contain the iocage plugin command that you have to use to install our official plugin: https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#freenas

I've also requested that FreeNAS include Channels DVR on their list of official plugins so you can just select it from the list and install it: https://github.com/freenas/iocage-ix-plugins/pull/168

A noobish question. Thanks for the responses, by the way. When the package repo is updated, how would I go about uploading it to my freenas? In addition, if I were to upgrade my freenas to 11.2, using the iocage plugin instructions, would I still need to install the chromium package?

Well, as I write this, my FreeNas build with Channels-DVR is working with TVE channels...:slight_smile:

So, a couple of things:
I tried both install variations and had the greatest success with Jmcguire525's, because it successfully installed chromium...or did it? Chromium failed to install and it tried a second time, but I never saw a successful confirmation. The channels-dvr plugin was downloaded and installed afterward. At the end of all of this, chromium was working. I don't know if the github files got updated with chromium between the time I installed the plugin with the short instructions and the time I did the manual install. Maybe tomorrow, I break it all back down and redo the short method and see.

I also figured out my dilemma with the storage: I needed to create the storage outside the jail, as Jmcguire525 pointed out...but I still could not select it in the web ui to use. I had to go in and stop the jail and create a mount point, inside the jail, that pointed to the storage dataset that was set up outside the jail...restarted the jail and that did the trick.

If you were following my manual install then mounting the storage to the jail was part of the commands I posted.

I managed to install the Chromium package, but now I get this message, "chrome failed to start: Shared object "libdl.so.1" not found, required by "chrome". What am I missing?

Okay, I did not have any mount points when I completed your steps...but, I just noticed something. I set up the dataset like the example you showed above and named it the same...'DVR'. I just noticed the dataset you point to in the install steps is named 'dvrtest'. I probably will not get back to anything today, but I will rebuild tomorrow and test, with that change.

BTW, it still worked fine.

My 4TB drive is supposed to be delivered today, and the cable is scheduled to be cut off next week, so it is time to decide what my final build will be, so, if you don't mind my asking for advice...which would you go with:
HP 8100 with a Core i5 650 (2Cores/4Threads), 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 4TB Drive running FreeNAS
or
HP Elite 800 with Core i5 4590S (4Cores/4Threads), 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 4TB Drive in USB3 external enclosure, running Win10...(this is my current setup that is running nextPVR as my backend for Kodi...with only a 1TB drive in the external enclosure)

What you name your dataset doesn't matter as long as you mount it by your naming scheme. Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's what I meant...gonna change your command to match my name.

anyone know the command to install chromium package in channels dvr jail?

Judging by your question I am going to assume you are new to FreeNAS so if you plan to continue using it I would offer this bit of advice read, search, and read some more. Most questions pertaining to FreeNAS may be better answered on the FreeNAS forums.

Now since I just went through this myself about ten days ago here is the answer to your question plus some additional information that may help.

The package manager is “ pkg “ common basic commands are update, install, upgrade, remove.
Update will update the packages repository.
Install will install a package.
Upgrade will upgrade packages.
Remove will remove a package.

So the command to install something like chromium would be pkg update && pkg install chromium test the install with chrome --version if successful you will simply get the chromium version number and you're all done. If not you will know because errors, missing files or library issues will be displayed so you would begin searching for solutions to the error that your getting and report issues to FreeNAS.

To remove the package pkg remove chromium

Fair !WARNING! If you use any of the information below this point your jail could become unusable and broken.

If the package you want can not be found it may not be in the default repository. By default, the repository is set to a TrueOS or iocage specific repository that will have a limited selection of packages that are normally tested or meant to work in the jail version you are using but the package you are looking for may not be in that repository. To change to the full FreeBSD repository you can use a command like this sed 's/enabled: no/enabled: yes/' /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf or just edit the config file with a text editor to enable the FreeBSD repository. Then run pkg update to update packages and try installing again. Keeping in mind it is disabled for a reason and some of the packages may not work in your jail.

None of this worked for me with chromium I kept getting library errors when I tested chrome with chrome --version.

There is another way to install that will compile from source and may take hours depending on your cpu and make configuration selections it involves using portsnap and is what I had to use to get a working chromium install.

You will need to fetch and extract the ports portsnap fetch && portsnap extract

For chromium you would then cd /usr/ports/www/chromium && make install clean I deselected things that will not be used in my jail like CUPs printing but on most of the make config screens, you can just continue with default selections. If you get an error about a package already existing on the system pkg remove the offending package and run the make command again.

I may have made some errors or typos with this information as it is from memory and based on my personal experience getting chromium installed so the best place for more information will naturally be FreeNAS. Feel free to post any corrections or updated information to help others. Good Luck

1 Like

thanks for the detailed help, i tried the last part of what you said and i got this error.

root@channels-dvr:/usr/ports/www/chromium # cd /usr/ports/www/chromium && make install clean
===> Building/installing dialog4ports as it is required for the config dialog
===> Cleaning for dialog4ports-0.1.6
===> Skipping 'config' as NO_DIALOG is defined
/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports
===> Options unchanged

To build Chromium, you should have around 2GB of memory
and a fair amount of free disk space (~ 6.5GB).

/!\ ERROR: /!\

Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended, and no ports are
guaranteed to build on this system. Please upgrade to a supported release.

No support will be provided if you silence this message by defining
ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM.

*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/www/chromium
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/www/chromium
root@channels-dvr:/usr/ports/www/chromium #
/usr/ports/x11-toolkits/p5-Tk-Role-Dialog/

I assumed you are using FreeNAS 11.2 based on the topic title but that error seems to indicate that you may not be.

What version are you using? uname -r

11.2 Stable

Well certainly no expert here but you can get around that error by putting the allow in make.conf search google if you want to try that it's something like ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM=yes but do not recommend doing it.

The error is saying you're on an old version maybe just an old jail I don't know. You may want to check system update in FreeNAS web UI to see if you have an update pending current version is FreeNAS-11.2-U6.

If you don't need an update you should post in FreeNAS forum about the error and include the output of uname -K and uname -U they can help you figure out whats wrong.