Additional Storage Locations for Channels DVR Recordings

Thanks everyone. Still no luck though. No matter what I do, I get a "false" return and the following in the log:

[ERR] invalid recorder settings: invalid character ';' after object key:value pair

I tried to escape the ; different ways in the command, but still same error.

People are able to get multiple locations to work in Window right?

Perhaps it could be integrated in the DVR web UI as a Beta, since the unreleased Add Imported Movie Source does it with a native OS directory picker
Screenshot_2020-06-12 Channels DVR

There is a way to do this ... it is documented in some thread but good luck finding it as documentation eventually gets lost in the threads ... there is no central place to look for documentation.

Try this one .... on windows ...

curl.exe -XPATCH --data-binary "{\"ExtraPaths\":\"E:\\DVR;F:\\DVR\"}" http://192.168.1.196:8089/dvr

The Above Worked for me ....

{"activity":{},"busy":false,"clients":0,"disk":{"free":344920637440,"total":500105736192,"used":155185098752},"enabled":true,"extra_paths":["E:\\DVR","F:\\DVR"],"guide":{"num_lineups":1,"num_shows":1581,"num_airings":17517,"disk_size":84560354,"updated_at":1592053200},"keep":{"num":"","only":""},"last_backup":"2020-06-13T06:24:36.3603193-07:00","padding":{"end":"","start":""},"path":"S:\\DVR","stats":{"groups":0,"files":0,"jobs":0,"rules":0},"status":"running","transcoder_cache":{"size":0},"trash":{"after":"1"}}

This also works ...

curl.exe -XPATCH --data-binary "{\"ExtraPaths\":\"E:/DVR;F:/DVR\"}" http://192.168.1.196:8089/dvr

That did it! I would have sworn I tried this way before, but tried again after the post and this time it worked. I must have typed something wrong and just missed my mistake.

Thank you all for the ideas!

This is available in the latest pre-release, under DVR Database > Storage Paths

2 Likes

And it works :ok_hand:

"extra_paths":["\\EDSYNOLOGY\Public\ChannelsDVR3:\\WDMYCLOUDDL2100\ChannelsDVR2"]

Was able to move Shows to both additional storage and everything played ... thanks.

1 Like

Hm that doesn't look right. Did you add those both via the web UI?

Can you submit diagnostics.

There should be two extra lines, one for each path.

Since he appears to be running on Windows, does he need to use a semicolon for separator instead of colon?

Quoting and Escaping on multiple OS's. That's why it's so much easier when the UI can pick for you.

Yes both added by UI and they work.

"extra_paths":["\\\\EDSYNOLOGY\\Public\\ChannelsDVR3:\\\\WDMYCLOUDDL2100\\ChannelsDVR2"]

Please upgrade to new build, then try removing and readding those two paths again

Looks better ....

"extra_paths":["\\\\EDSYNOLOGY\\Public\\ChannelsDVR3","\\\\WDMYCLOUDDL2100\\ChannelsDVR2"]
2 Likes

I assume this is a beta build. How do I get that for Mac as I'd like to try this out?

Can anyone help with this question?

1 Like

The DVR server pre-releases are the same, regardless of platform.

Updates to the pre-release must be manually checked for. You do this from the Settings page of the DVR web UI by either Shift+Clicking or Click-and-Hold the Check For Updates button under the current DVR version number.

You can also PUT to the /updater/check/prerelease endpoint of your DVR server.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+update+channels+dvr+to+prerelease

You could of saved yourself 2 days

1 Like

Click and hold it is! Now another trip to Best Buy for another drive. Thanks.

HI

Have a couple of question to the people using this new feature.

1. How do I get the new version and install it ?

2. Is it possible to have it record a show or movie too both Drives at the same time and be able to Delete ect.. at the same time, my thinking is using the second drive as a Backup drive ??

Thanks

It is now part of the new stable release; your DVR should update itself. (See Version History for details about 2020.09.14.2100.)

Recordings will only be saved to the primary location. The additional locations are used for items not found in the primary location, but still in the database.

I've now added a 2nd 10TB drive and it is going to take forever to move things from the old to the new. Could I just make the new drive the main Channels DVR storage point and then make the old one the 2nd drive? That would immediately give me back a whole drive of space for recording. If this can be done easily, what steps should I take so that I don't mess anything up?