Admin vs Viewer login

I've seen a few requesting the ability to have multiple users. How about a second "view only" login that's a username instead of an email address?

Main can be [email protected] with full admin rights then "SmithFamily" as the User who can sign in to the app to view live and saved content.

I swear if someone tells me it's already a feature i'm gonna get my eyes and brain checked.

If “smith family” is using their own client, you can lock down that client with all kinds of settings from the server side. No separate login required

That's only if they're at the same location as server. If that person isn't home they need login credentials.

Example: My buddy is in the hospital and will be there a for a while. I would like to give him access to some content I have saved. Having a separate sharable login would come in handy or a way to request access from his end. Like registering devices on the TVE apps.

That's not true, server side settings can be applied to remote clients as well.

That is true, but once they are connected, they would be bound by whatever server-side settings you configure for them. So your buddy could have access to your Channels DVR, but his remote client would only be able to view live and saved content, and not be able to delete stuff, for example.

I hope he recovers well, by the way!

I already have any New Client can only View and not delete anything using Client Settings.... and all on KIOSK mode.

I understand it kind of stinks having to give your credentials to share with your friend, but you should understand that Channels is designed to be a home based DVR for your family, it’s not designed for sharing to tons of people like some other media software is.

6 Likes

Yeah I know. It's amazing as it is. Situation came up and thought I'd put it out there. :smile: