Advanced pass Genre question

I notice that if you use Genre Contains drama in lower case it does not pickup Crime drama or any other type of drama ... But if you use Drama it only picks up shows that only contain Drama ...

I was under the impression that if I use Genre contains Drama it would pick up all dramas ... Comedy drama, Criminal drama etc... I am trying to setup a pass to record all Dramas in prime time and exclude sitcoms, game shows etc ...

Conditions
Channel CONTAINS 2.1 
Channel CONTAINS 6,1 
Channel CONTAINS 8.1 
Channel CONTAINS 12.1 
Channel CONTAINS 32.1 
Genres CONTAINS Drama 
Genres CONTAINS drama
Time CONTAINS 8pm 
Time CONTAINS 9pm 
Time CONTAINS 10pm 

No, as they are completely separate genres.

You’re marching genres, not words.

So in order to record all dramas I would have to exclude all full Genre's eek. Sitcoms News etc ... I will use something else to record my dramas ..

I thought it would be more like this where drama records all dramas ...

1 Like

I was going to suggest that you could use Channels contains .1 (dot one) to simplify selecting the primary OTA channels as I have some old, paused passes where I did this to pick up season premieres of major network shows, but sometime in the last couple of years contains .1 (dot one) no longer works What's odd is that I can exclude .1 (dot one), but cannot use contains. Guess that's a bug..

I stopped using my pass when I found out it was easier to check On Later Series & Seaons premieres.

I rather have the DVR do that work for me ... I have an advanced pass to record Prime time shows but I want to record all dramas and selectively select anything else like other shows I might be interested in. Right now it records those Magazine/Game shows which I hate among some Sitcoms I cannot stand,

Conditions
OriginalDate > 2024-05-01 
Channel CONTAINS 2.1 
Channel CONTAINS 6.1 
Channel CONTAINS 8.1 
Channel CONTAINS 32.1 
Channel CONTAINS 702 
Channel CONTAINS 706 
Channel CONTAINS 708 
Channel CONTAINS 712 
Time CONTAINS 8pm 
Time CONTAINS 9pm 
Time CONTAINS 10pm 
Genres EXCLUDES News 

Here's what I found for gracenote genres containing the word drama
Comedy drama
Crime drama
Docudrama
Drama
Historical drama

With Pluto EPG you get the alphabet soup
Biographical Drama
Classic Dramas
Courtroom Drama
Crime Drama
Crime drama
Drama
Family Drama
Family Dramas
Foreign Classic Dramas
Foreign Drama
Historical Drama
Indie Dramas
Inspirational Drama
Reality Drama
Romantic Drama
Romantic Dramas
Sci-Fi Dramas

To see which ones are in your guide data, use this API endpoint
/dvr/guide/search/fields/Genres?q=

That is a great start thanks.I did the search on my server with no Pluto and it is only what you posted above. Adding this to my notes.

As an aside, while I was playing around with my pass, I inadvertainly left my pass active with only Time CONTAINS 7PM. I will say that at 7PM, Channels DVR did it's best to record 300+ shows concurrently, but my poor little hard drive wasn't up to the task. It took me 20 minutes to clean up the 240 partial recordings that started at 7PM.

Yeah you need to add the Channels. You can get in trouble with advanced generic passes.

Agree, I now add Channel == 0 to those before I save them. Then Pause it and edit to remove Channel == 0.

This takes care of my Dramas ... once the new season starts probably after the Olympics... I can setup other shows I might be interested in... Thanks.... as you can see I excluded 12.1 and Instead use my Prime 712 ... that is because since they converted to ATSC 3.0 they lowered the power on 12.1 and DRM'd the ATSC 3.0 112.1

Conditions
Channel CONTAINS 2.1 
Channel CONTAINS 6.1 
Channel CONTAINS 8.1 
Channel CONTAINS 32.1 
Channel CONTAINS 712 
Genres CONTAINS Comedy drama 
Genres CONTAINS Crime drama 
Genres CONTAINS Drama 
Genres CONTAINS Historical drama 
Time CONTAINS 8pm 
Time CONTAINS 9pm 
Time CONTAINS 10pm 

It seems like Channels should have a failsafe for this type of situation. It should have a user-defined limit on the number of concurrent recordings possible.

I like the idea! :+1: