Allow alternate player app from DVR web UI

Update to new prerelease and you will see it.

2 Likes

Confirmed that's what happened.
When the prerelease and stable builds are the same version numbers, easiest way I found to tell which one you're running is to look at the json that the API endpoint /status returns
"prerelease": true means you're running the prerelease version
or
"prerelease": false means you're running the stable release version

Do you know anything about this the vlc-protocol.exe or the author? virustotal.com says McAfee, TrendMicro, and others are reporting it as malicious. False positive maybe?

You could use the bat if you're concerned. It seems legit to me, and the developer responded to my issues about the Mac version.

You can file an issue and let him know mcafee is complaining.

1 Like

Thank You, I just updated and it now shows.

I have scanned it with ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus and it says nothing was found and to be safe. Malware Bytes didn't find anything with it either. So, I don't know. Even that virus total website, shows it as clean.

@tmm1 Thanks for implementing this.

Looks like these were fixed. It's now using stream.mpg instead of hls which no longer transcodes and the video starts and stops almost immediately.

2 Likes

@jkister since this is not a signed app by the developer, you need to go into System Preferences-->Security & Privacy and give it permission. The instructions are at Release v1.1.0 · stefansundin/vlc-protocol · GitHub. Expand the section that says "Additional macOS instructions" and it will walk you through the process.

However after doing all of that I still can't get VLC to launch on my Mac. I get the dialog that says "Do you want to allow this page to open “VLC-protocol”?". I click allow but VLC never launches for some reason.

Heads up: As of this beta release...

.. you need to go Settings >> Integrations and check off VLC links:

To be clear: you still need to install the vlc-protocol from above.

1 Like

Is installing vlc-protocol as simple as downloading it for windows and clicking the exe?

No, but it is not difficult. Follow the "Easy bat-only install" instructions here:

Basically:

1. Download the EXE from the releases
  2. Download the BATs from the repository
  3. Drop all of them off in the your VLC directory
  4. Run "vlc-protocol-register.bat" as an Administrator

1 Like

Thanks. Working fine now.

VLC links Integration setting not saving/sticking

This setting doesn't appear to be saved in Channels DVR.
I enable it and later it appears disabled.
How do I save this setting/make it stick?

Is this a browser cookie or something?
I use Incognito/Private modes for my browsers.

1 Like

See earlier post from @tmm1

And updated MacOS Instructions here

Has this feature been removed? I just updated to the latest DVR prerelease and no longer see VLC Player as an option in the menu:

CleanShot 2022-03-11 at 12.11.46

Setting isn't being saved.

They added an on/off button in the settings web page near the EDL options under "Integrations".

1 Like

Ah! Ok thanks.

1 Like

The setting is stored in localStorage in the browser

(localStorage data for a document loaded in a "private browsing" or "incognito" session is cleared when the last "private" tab is closed.)