Allow recording duplicates or allow manual recordings

Now at the top of my wish list.

I had 3 pass recordings that were no good because something pre-empted them.

These are PBS and they only air twice. Once in the evening and again early the next morning.

My workaround is to keep my current passes which record the first of the two airings and then pick another show that airs immediately before or after the second early morning airing and pad it to get what I want.

If that other show I pick is something I've previously recorded I have to mark it as unrecorded first.

If that other show is something I currently have a pass for, it doesn't work.

See this post for an example of the same workaround for a different use case.

What I can add to this is that linear tv is meant for real-time consumption and if you're not glued to your tv watching real-time you might be using a dvr like channels to record it. The alternative is vod, but with channels the vod doesn't work if it's not recorded to your library.

Couldn’t you temporarily change the pass to record All Episodes? Or does that only record all episodes once?

That

I've thought of using my other NAS which is only setup with a TVE source to also use my HDHR Prime source, but then I'll have two Channels DVR NAS's fighting over my one HDHR Prime and I'd rather not go that route. If the HDHR Prime 6 tuner ever sees the light of day...

If you set the pass to record all episodes and also set it to “re-record deleted” it should record every single episode it can (but still won’t record the same episode twice).

If the pass is set to re-record deleted episodes, the same episode will indeed re-record—however, only if it was deleted first.

(Not trying to correct, but rather clarify.)

1 Like

Right. You won’t ever get two copies of the same episode. Hopefully clear now. Hard to explain. :blush:

I would like to have an option to record 'every showing' or better yet, set a manual time/channel based recording (which is kind of what I'm currently doing in my workaround).

I'd rather have it schedule every showing of every episode in these cases and I can skip the ones I don't want from the recording schedule.

I would prefer not to set a series pass to rerecord deleted for many reasons.

I normally edit recordings I'm going to archive (to remove commercials) and then delete them from Channels. They would then get rerecorded.

I would have to stay up late to check a recording that finished at 11pm to see if it's good and if not and I deleted it the only other showing is at 12am or 1am and if I delete the first one and there's an issue with the second recording, I have nothing. So in this case I would prefer to keep both recordings, but I really won't use this option anyway.