Alpha: modernizing the UI underpinnings of the Android app

In order to modernize our Android app and keep up with the latest Google requirements, we are working on a major upgrade to how the various UI elements in the app work. This should be a seamless change from the user perspective, but a lot of code has to be touched so there may be bugs introduced.

We are publishing an alpha build which applies the new UI framework to the video player and some other views around the app. If you would like to help us test, please update to latest beta then install alpha. It will install as a separate app you can switch to and try.

Please report any bugs.

Alpha builds available under Support > Beta Testing > Install Alpha App

2 Likes

While watching a recording hitting down it crashes ... Logs submitted from APP.

1 Like

not seeing this on latest beta.

1 Like

I installed but im connecting through vpn. Looks like the client doesnt like bot being able to do auto discovery. I entered the addr manually and she errors on me.

The v2024.03.02.0037 alpha app crashes when attempting to view upcoming airings for a TV Show or Movie via On Later or via Search. App diagnostics submitted for both cases.

1 Like

I decided I would help test this out for fun, but like one other poster above, I don't have that option under Support > Beta Testing > Install Alpha App. I don't even have Support > Beta Testing - I am on the latest Beta version per the About Channels section (version 3.2.146).

If it matters, I am on the Nvidia Shield.

1 Like

The options to check for updates for new betas—and presumably to install the new alpha—are only present in the sideloaded app.

I believe restrictions from Google make it so that the beta distributed through the Play Store cannot have this functionality. (Similar to the button detector not being present in versions distributed through the Play Store.)

1 Like

Installed fine and started testing Alpha.

1. Android phone using Android 14 api/34: Started up OK, watched OTA channel and a recording, problem with Search, crashed to OS.
  2. Android TV using Google Chromecast, Sheild, and Sony TV with GoogleTV: Crashed to OS right after Preparing your TV. Reinstalled and rebooted, still would not run.
  3. FireTV using the two Max hardware versions: First could not find server, entered IP address manually, then right after Preparing Your TV it would crash to OS just like Android TV

I am using a Windows 11 Server with the latest DVR prerelease.

Alpha successfully installed on:

Android 10 Samsung Tablet

Watched live TV, set up a recording from the client, used the guide, used search and watched a recording. No issues so far.

Nvidia Shield TV 2017 AndroidTV 11

Watched live TV, set up a recording from the client, used the guide, and watched a recording.

Can confirm the same problem as @Edwin_Perez regarding down button while watching a recording on the Shield. It flashes up the Preparing your TV screen and then goes back to the recordings screen.

Also, in search it found upcoming shows for search string OK, but clicking on one of the shows crashed back to OS.

Submitted log 7a5a3937-8efa-4b3a-9428-7e81384b96ed

Server version is 2023.0104.2027. on Raspi4 OEM image.

1 Like

In that case, can the Devs make a link or apk available to the Alpha Version directly? I have no issue sideloading, just want to keep my devices on the Play Store beta upgrade path.

1 Like

This happens for me too on the v2024.03.02.0037 alpha app. On all three of my Android TV/Fire TV devices, the alpha app shows "Preparing your TV..." and once that finishes, the app crashes. These devices are running Android TV 11 (API/30), Android TV 9 (API/28), and Fire TV 7.1.2 (API/25).

The alpha app opens fine on Android 14 (API/34) mobile devices.

Please update to latest alpha which includes better crash reporting

1 Like

Updated Alpha on my phone, crashed to OS during Search, sent Diagnostics.

Updated Alpha on my Android Tablet. Searched and clicked on one of the resulting TV shows, crashed to OS. Submitted Diagnostics once back in app.

c7f852ad-4a4b-4590-bc92-e6ad04a6dc71

I installed the Alpha app on my Firestick 4K Max. When I launch the app I enter the IP address of my Channels DVR, then it goes to the goes to the Preparing your TV... screen and then crashes after a few seconds. I tried clearing the cache and data, restarting the Firestick, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the Alpha app and it still crashes.

Saw a new version of the Alpha app is available. The new version will now completely start on my Firesticks and Google TV's. I could play a live OTA station and play a recording from the Recordings menu. But if I tried to play a recording from the TV Shows or Library menus, Channels would crash back to the OS. Also using the Search menu would still crash to OS. Had to uninstall the old version, before installing the new one.

Restarted app and sent Diagnostics after trying to play a recording from the TV Shows menu.

1 Like

I submitted a diagnostic at 18:32 today EDT. Same issue mentioned above with the quick guide, but I also was looking at "Recordings" and selected the middle button "More" and it crashed to the launcher, doesnt restart the app as the other issue does.

Also fat-fingered a diagnostic just now while re-creating steps. :upside_down_face: It did send after the above mentioned bug, so perhaps it was a useful, yet redundant, fat-finger.

Having an issue with the alpha android app on my galaxy zfold5
I tried to watch an imported movie and i had audio but no video.
I changed the decoder from hardware to software then restaretd the app
Now every time i try and play that same movie the alpha app crashes
I submitted diagnostics from the client. Content plays fine on the beta app.

Need help on FireTV install. Is the app available from the store or must I sideload it,?