Amazon Fire alternatives as Channels clients?

Channels Client is fully supported on the Shield what is not supported is running the server on the Shield.

1 Like

The Shield is no longer supported as a device for the DVR server. As a client device, it is supported the same as any other Android TV device.

Assuming I understand what you are stating, that will not be a problem. (I read your statement as you have a TV running Fire OS that you are currently using as a client, and you wish to bypass the software built into the TV and instead use a separate Shield as your streaming device.)

2 Likes

The Shield connects via HDMI for video and audio to your TV, it connects via ethernet or wifi to actually be useful as a device for playing stuff from various sources (Channels DVR server for instance).

Damn, been so long since I set it up I had to re-phrase that.

1 Like

Thanks for all the prompt replies to my Nvidia Shield Pro question - much appreciated!! :grin:

Yes, all replies understood my question perfectly. I only want to run the Channels client on the NSP. I currently run the server on Win10 Pro that works A-OK and will continue to do so.

All good. I'm ordering the NSP today on Amazon 15% off ($170) so good timing!

1 Like

I would recommend the Apple TV 4K over the shield tv for channels. Apple always gets new features first with the channels app. Heck I’ll sell you my latest gen shield pro Ethernet for $75+shipping if you really want one and I’ll grab a ATV4k to replace it.

Why is it that the Apple TV devices seem to have so many problems with audio ?

One more comment on the ONN walmart device.
It has a Channel UP/Down rocker button.
You can surf thru the channels without having to go back to the Guide for a different channel..
And when it reaches the Top or Bottom it rolls around to the other end.
My wife loves it for her short Favorites list.

Thx for the offer. However, the NSP is returnable until Jan 31, 2024, so that gives me over 7 weeks to check it out. I'm not that concerned abt getting new features first.

Meantime, the ATV4k is not currently offered new direct from Amazon and it seems seldom if ever a discount is offered (I could be wrong). Is available at Best Buy.

I noticed with the one that I just purchased to test with that there are lots of strange popping noises that occur simply going in and out of various streaming apps. I was not expecting that kind of clumsiness in this device.

It is amazing that my FireTV Max 2nd gen (which Gets Destroyed in this Forum) ... can be plugged into my eARC port and I am able to use my wireless Echo Studios and Woofer to use with any device plugged into my HDMI ports with no issues including AC4 Passthrough. At 1/3 the Price of an Apple TV 4K.

I have both Nivida Shields and an Apple TV 4K. The Nivida Shields (both pro and the round one) have work as clients, without a hardware problem. The Apple TV 4K, would get hot and reboot. Apple replaced it under warranty and so far no more problems with it.

So, which do you like best? And why?

Worth checking out for less than $20 - such a deal! But no ethernet port. Easy return at local WM.

I highly recommend the Onn dongle for an inexpensive streaming box. In my opinion the OS running on the Onn is much better than the FireTV boxes I've used mainly because the app stays up after turning the TV off and on.

Concerned abt RAM/storage 2 GB / 8 GB. I need to run Channels, Plex, Kodi Prime Video, SmartTube and have doubt it's possible on the Onn Google TV 4K Streaming Box. Kodi alone requires at least 1.71GB.

Getting interested! The Walmart onn streamer does work with USB ethernet adapters, tho slower than Wi-Fi:

True 100mbit is slower than most wifi. However I will take that all day long over wifi which is prone to interference, higher latency, and half-duplex.

1 Like

Yes it works with Ethernet adapters, unless you also want to use ADB — then any Ethernet adapter mysteriously stops working. I bought two of them to use with the ah4c and ADBTuner projects — they’re now residing on the island of broken toys.

So the onn device is thus powered via PoE?

1 Like

Expand Internal Storage on New Walmart onn. Google TV 4K Streaming Box (New, 2023) with OTG Cable & USB Drive