Amazon Removes HDHomeRun, TikiLive, SkyStream TV & More From Its App Store After Omniverse Lawsuit

I hated to start a new thread on a topic closely-related to another thread, but I felt it important the Channels devs not miss this: Apparently Amazon removed HDHR's FireTV application from their store because it can access the contested content via the HDHR CONNECT series tuners.

Story: Amazon Removes HDHomeRun, TikiLive, SkyStream TV & More From Its App Store After Omniverse Lawsuit

The concern here of course being if Amazon makes the connection between HDHR tuners and Channels...?

I think Channels is safe for the time being, but they should get rid of any and all PTV features now to avoid being caught up in this.

Problem is they have existing customers using that feature. Talk about "rock and a hard place..."

I know, but in this situation I believe it is whats best, no one can fault them for proactively removing themselves from the situation. Its pretty obvious this won't end well for omniverse or hdhomerun, and the sooner Channels disables the PTV streams on their app the better off they are when the hammer comes down.

1 Like

I wonder if this hinges on the end-user's ability to record CATV content to local storage? The other CATV streaming services which seem unaffected by this have cloud-based DVRs. I'd be satisfied if SD and Channels simply made the CATV content live-only. The only reason I subscribed was to be able to get ESPN and CNN, both of which I really only watch live.

I can and I did. Added to my other issues with Amazon and their latest censorship (off-topic for this forum, so won't elaborate): I've just disabled the auto-renew for our Amazon Prime membership.

Henceforth I'll be looking elsewhere, first. Amazon will no longer be my first stop, as it had come to be.