An FYI, Channels “On Now” runs without Internet

I’ve always been under the impression that Channels was utilizing an internet connection, for live TV playback. Since, Comcast has been having a problem intermittantly with my internet connection (10 days so far), I’ve found that assumption was incorrect. No internet, but I can still view Live TV. Also, recordings are performed on schedule…no problems. So I’m set for even three weeks of Internet outage…if necessary.

Previously, I had a modem/router combo from Comcast…which caused innumerable problems. Changing to customer owned modem (Netgear CM500V…Xfinity approved and voice capable) and a single function router…previously owned…has been an eye opening experience. Although Channels was operating splendidly on the combo, Silicondust was a fail. Now both work without internet…but, of course, Channels is SOOO much better with 3 weeks data vs SD 2 weeks.

Channels and Channels DVR were designed from day one to not require internet. Channels DVR will continue recording happily without internet access for several weeks. I believe SD DVR will only record next 4 hours of recordings but I may be mistaken.

1 Like

Just now trying to use SD live/future (on my cobbled together hotspot) definetely supports your recollection of 4 hours…as earlier (<4 hours) I was able to utilize.

Since, I haven’t really used the SDDVR function since Channels DVR release, I don’t even have a test program to verify. However, additionally, supporting this, trying to contact SDDVR on-line is resulting in a constant “waiting” status…it has now been over 4 hours since my last “direct” internet connection.

Again, kudos to the Channels solution…seamless…no futzing around.

1 Like