Analog channels - Anyone get their tuner to pull them in?

Just setup QNAP NAS, Quatro tuner and of course the DVR subscription. I must say, we have been happy with tuning into the channels on our televisions throughout the house via the regular TV remotes. That being said, we had no DVR functionality or guide to utilize which made Channels seem so appealing since we have Apple TVs on each TV. After hooking everything up today, I was very unhappy to find that the tuner does not pull in more than 11 digital "HD"channels. (the TVs pull in over 40 digital themselves so not sure why it’s only 11) Our televisions and their built in tuners pull in close to 120 total channels! Obviously I should have dug more and read the details but I’m hoping someone else out there is in my same shoes. Did you find another “analog tuner” that would function along side your digital tuner? Is there a firmware hack to allow the quatro or other SD tuners to tune in analog channels? Does anyone have a solution for pulling in such channels via the channels app? Yes, I know eventually analog will go away but I live in a place that is typically 10 years behind the real world as far as tech implementations go. They still sell the standard TV packages here. Along with two “digital” tiers you can add to it that anyone’s HDTV can pull in via the built in tuners.

Have you tried reaching out to [email protected] to see if they officially support analog channels or not?

I did. Still waiting on a reply. Figured I would see what everyone here did in the time being.

SD tuners do not contain the components required for analog channnels; it would be physicallly impossible to get analog (NTSC) channels since they do not contain an NTSC decoder. For the US models They can only decode ATSC or QAM (clear for all models, encoded for prime).

Depending on your service and location you may need a prime with a cable card and tuning resolver to get all the digital channels. Easiest way to check is to call the cable Co and ask what is needed for a TiVo. Many older locations that still have analog also simulcast the stations via digital.

TeddyR, thanks for the info. That’s the technical stuff I needed to know. Since we currently don’t actually pay for cable at the house, (just works since they left off the filter for the past 8 years) I was looking for a way to get this done without ay additional fees. Once I talk with them about cable cards, etc… I might as well just get their equipment.

On another note, do you or anyone else know of any NTSC tuners that might work with channels? Perhaps tuners form other parts of the world that would work? I know I’m reaching here but figured I would try since I have everything in place. Would rather not send everything back if at all possible. Thanks again for your input!

Channels only works with HDHomeRun tuners, sorry :disappointed: