Android App?

I’m just wondering if you guys have plans to create an Android app?

I know you have a lot going on right now with the Android TV and Fire TV and I’m pleased to see how quickly they are coming along, but just figured I’d ask. :slight_smile:

I have had Channels about a month now and I love it. I’m running the DVR on my Shield TV and I bought the TVOS and Android TV apps to use as clients.

I’m not really an iOS guy. The Apple TV is the only Apple product I own. I only have it because I did the pre-pay for 3 months of DirecTV Now to get it for free. I’m so glad I did though because I don’t know if I would have come across the Channels app otherwise. The ironic thing is that I’m cancelling my DirecTV Now subscription and plan to stay with Channels indefinitely. :slight_smile:

Keep up the great work guys!

2 Likes

I would like that as well.

1 Like

We have our hands full at the moment, and are not android users ourselves so there are no immediate plans. Writing android apps is tough because the hardware varies so much across devices.

Are you interested in a phone app, or a tablet app? It would be useful if you posted what devices you own and what version of android they’re running.

Gotcha. Thanks for the honesty.

I personally use a Pixel 2 phone and Pixel C tablet (both running 8.1 Oreo), but I know these are some of the least popular Android devices. It would be best to target Galaxy S phones if you guys ever did decide to take it on. I’m sure it would work just fine on Pixel devices as well.

This isn’t a deal breaker for me though. I can still access my recordings and Live TV while on the go using Plex. It would just be nice to have it all in one ecosystem and I prefer Channels by far over Plex. Plus Plex doesn’t play nicely with tuner releasing/sharing, and I’m always afraid I’ll mess something up by using it. haha

You can always use my.channelsdvr.net on your Android phone/tablets as well.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot.

Honestly the if the Web UI works great on android, my only complaint is it doesn’t open the video in full screen by default.

I’d love an Android app too, but I understand it’s not as easy as “stop everything and do what I want!”, The Fire TV app is great and really coming along brilliantly, especially with such a small team. Though I must say I’m rather jealous of the iOS Channels users I know, as the app on iPhone looks awesome. I’d pay for an Android version of the app in a heartbeat!

1 Like

I would love to have an Android App for a Tablet too. I’ll be purchasing an Android Tablet for my husband in the near future. I’m just not sure which Android Tablet to get him. He wants at least a 11.5 inch to 12.5 inch screen.

He got a taste of Channels on my Ipad today and could not believe the difference between the HD App which he uses on his HP Laptop and Channels on the Ipad.

Why not just create an android app that works as a container for the website? Should be fairly straight forward. At least until a full android app is in the pipeline.

1 Like

This would be a great option. I’m thinking of switching over from Plex but no Android app is a major killer for me…

They did create a widget for your home screen that opens right to the website

Its just pretty much a bookmark that gets added to the home screen which is pretty pathetic compared to the IOS app. Since they have already spent the time and effort to make an Android TV app, I assume it should be relatively easy to port over to a phone / tablet app.

We have a beta available: BETA: Channels for Android phones/tablets