Android Mobile Slow to Load/Connect

I've noticed that the android mobile app takes a while to load when connecting to a remote server, around 15 seconds if the app isn't already running in the background. Is there anyway to speed this up?

(In comparison, the Apple TV app connecting to the same remote server after being forced closed only takes ~4 seconds)

My app stopped working all together with my android phone

If you are doing so over LTE mobile connection, it is well known that the cell network is very overloaded these days thanks to the world wide pandemic.

Also, many home ISP's have high load now too and many folks reports slower than normal bandwidth and speeds and higher latency. Many people are stuck at home, remote working AND also gaming, streaming too, so that is ever increasing the load on the internet.

1 Like

Not using cellular, same wifi connection as my apple tv that loads ~10sec faster.

Well, they are 2 very very different ecosystems and local device back-ends. And very different hardware. not a fair compare really.

The devices also may have different wifi chips in them and differnt AC wifi link rate standards tech, where one is connecting at a higher link rate with greater bandwidth. (Like one may only be 2 stream AC 867, the other 3 stream AC 1.7gbps etc. one device may support MIMO the other not)

So probably the hardware or technical back-end of how they do their network things in their respective OS also.

Channels DVR main focus is Apple... Android has always been secondary as far as development.

It's literally the same DVR backend... I get all the variables involves, and also understand enough to know that the startup sequence can be improved/optimized.

Apple is the focus, got that, no harm in pointing out areas of improvement for other platforms though.

If you want to "educate" me further, send me a dm, no sense pointing out the obvious over and over.

No, not mean the DVR server,...what mean is you are comparing 2 different client apps that are on on different hardware, software, network stacks, and functions.

You only stated a brief, not really insightful specific use case with no further insight.

U can send in diag info to Channels form the slow device and they can see if there is something they can recommend to u.

What version of the AppleTV app are you using, the stable or the new Beta?
What is the make/model of your Android device?

Have u tired both on a wired connection to eliminate the wifi radio hardware difference factor?

I get what u are suggesting, but based on what little info you posted, we can only guess at your setup and knowledge level.

I do not have an Apple TV, or iphone, but on my Pixel 3, over remote wifi, or LTE, it connects to my home server in just a couple secs. (I have 500meg up/down dedicated fiber at home) and my remote wifi location is 100 megs down and my LTE signal is strong with about 90megs down.)

Could you send diagnostics after a first load so we can see the timing?

1 Like

submitted

Edit: Submitted again connecting to my 2nd server, same results

No offense, but my post was meant for the devs, and they have a pretty good idea what my setup is based on past experiences in testing and bug hunting.

You used the work "backend" so I assumed that is what you were referring to. If you want the full run down here you go...

Server 1:
-Freenas 11.3 U1 (running the latest stable DVR server)
-200/200 Fiber (TCP Cubic)
-Xeon E5-2683 V3
-64GB DDR4 ECC Ram

Server 2:
-Unraid 6.8.3 (running the latest stable DVR server)
-250/250 Fiber (TCP BBR)
-i7-9700k
-32GB DDR4 Ram

Client 1:
-Apple Tv 4K
-Latest Stable Release
-Wireless AC (Unifi AP-Lite)

Client 2:
-Pixel 2
-Latest Stable Release
-Wireless AC (Unifi AP-Lite)

*Both clients connecting to either remote server exhibit the same behavior (~4sec load time for Apple Tv and ~15sec for the Pixel Phone)
**Remote connection 150/5 connection, ~40ms ping to server #1, ~15ms ping to server #2. I can max out the bandwidth to either server from my remote location.

Then direct contact the devs via email....

u posted to the Community Support Forums where other users respond.
This is not a dev contact only forum.
If others posting annoys u, then don't post here or say "devs respond only" :man_shrugging:

And step 1 woudl to be to submit logs anyway to the devs via email and the app.
which is what the dev ask u to do anyways.

Nice setup u have, btw.

Remote servers, do u mean they are in a data center, or at your home?

@speedingcheetah We're happy to have @JMcGuire ask these sorts of questions publicly. It can be helpful for others to see what's going on.

@JMcGuire I have put a bunch of effort recently into decreasing the time it takes to go from background to foreground on the Apple TV, but haven't spent any effort on the initial startup time, so it surprises me that the amount of time is that different... but on the other hand, they are separate codebases, so the amount that they are loading before showing the UI may be fairly different.

Do you care much about the initial start time or are you just most interested in having the app wake from background faster?

@eric yes i know....but it is very rude and ungrateful sounding to be told to bug off, only want devs to respond....when posting to a public forum. Just saying

There are varying level of tech savy and non tech savy folks on here asking all sort of quests/reporting issues. From the post given, nothing obvious as to users technical level is ascertainable from just "Apple app loads faster on AppleTV than the Android app on (unknown device) on the same network."

Need to know more details, which they later gave...ok...cool.

My only thing i can add to this now, is what i already said, Android app on my Pixel 3 phone loads up much faster than they reported with their unknown Android device(which they way they wrote it implied that they are saying/thinking it a global issue that Apple app faster than Android) My experience is that is not the case, but certainly an issue with their setup that the devs can now give further insight into.

@JMcGuire
This what i meant...sorry to not use the correct terms. i see where that confused u.

@eric I don't regularly use the mobile app, so it is usually going through the initial loading when I open it, I just noticed how long it was taking and thought there may be ways to optimize it. Not a big deal, but I also show it off when recommending Channels to others, and it hurts the presentation a bit.

@speedingcheetah I do regularly dm the devs, but I try limit that to bugs and more important requests. For small things like this I usually just make a forum post that they can address at their convenience.

1 Like