Android reboots

Been dealing with this for a little while now - watching live or recorded tv through channels on a TiVo stream 4k and it just randomly reboots - sometimes without doing anything, sometimes on button presses - bringing up guide or skipping commercial. Just submitted diags hoping to see if they reveal anything obvious.

If I don’t open channels app the stick is stable just watching Hulu, Netflix, etc.

You can try changing Settings > Playback > Advanced > Video Decoder: software

Is that because something in the submitted diagnostics suggests an issue with the hardware decoder? Is there a known issue already with the stream 4k and this is the fix?

1 Like

If the entire device is rebooting that means there is an Android OS level issue. No apps should be able to cause reboots. Such bugs are typically in the firmware and if its happening during video playback then its likely in the hardware video firmware. So switching to software may fix it.

Our app can only quit itself. Only the OS can reboot the device.

1 Like

Probably out of storage. Tivo Android devices can act unpredictably when they run out of storage space, and they have precious little. Clear app caches and try again. Also, if you are running channels on external memory, you could have a bad device. It seems like apps are growing on android (as they always have) and they eat memory up. Generic Android has no elegant way to manage app memory. Actually, they have instant apps, but no one writes them.

1 Like

1.4g available on internal storage where channels lives. Software playback has Not led to a reduction in reboot frequency. I guess factory reset and reload is next up.

Make sure you power it from a good source (not the TV USB port or a cheap phone charger). The one shipped with it is not great I understand. Also, if you are using external storage, get the fastest and best you can get. I've had problems with both of these issues as well.

1 Like

I've been experiencing the same thing on an NVidia Shield. When hitting a button on various remotes (last time it was just a volume change, but before it was the left button) it crashes to the android screen. I changed the decoder to software so we'll see if that helps. We haven't seen this with any other app. I just submitted diagnostics.

Any updates on this? I've had an outbreak of this behavior (random reboots of a Tivo Stream 4k) at a second home I just returned to for a bit. Had been pretty stable before so I am trying to figure out what is causing it.

To add to this - it only seems to happen when I am running Channels DVR.