Hi, now that the Android TV app has gone public, thought I’d capture some of the features I think would enhance the experience. Apologies to the Devs as most of this surfaced in the Beta threads, but they were not public, so I wanted to resurface for comment from others.
Control Expansion (using keyboard inputs for example which can be simulated with a FLIRC) using examples to characterize desired behavior. Actual keyboard button I’m open to, although ones described below would mimic Kodi Keymap in many cases. https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml
- “m” keypress would take you from LiveTV (or DVR playback) directly to the slide out left menu. Better than having to hit back twice. Another “m” keypress would return you to LiveTV where you left off.
- Direct input of channel numbers both on guide and when viewing a channel
- “Page up / Page Down” keypresses on guide skips up or down full page. In Live TV Playback, changes channel up or down
- “ctrl+0” – Toggle to previous tuned channel (different than Kodi keymap which has this just as number 0, but didn’t know if that would complicate direct keying of channel numbers.
- “e” - Bring up guide
- “k” - Shortcut to DVR Recordings (when added to Android TV)
- “b” - Shortcut to DVR schedule and passes (when added to Android TV)
- “ctrl+r” - Record current playing channel or selected item in Guide (when added to Android TV)
- “ctrl+shift+t” – Take you back to Live TV last tuned channel, current timeline (similar to Play.
Reading over various other sites over the last couple of years, it seems that the implementation of the android remote codesets at least for the shield is limited to the commands available on the packaged remote. Using standardized keyboard inputs eliminates that limitation.