Android TV Feature Request (keymaps)

One feature I would like to see is the grid guide being able to “loop” back to the top after scrolling to the bottom of the guide. Having to scroll all the way back to the top of the guide when you reach the bottom is a PITA. I second adding functionality for FLIRC. Nice work guys!

2 Likes

Hey guys, you can ignore my request above. I figured out a simple workaround on the Harmony Hub. I’ve got the one button commercial skip working again.
In case anyone is interested I just defined a new sequence which consists of two presses of the right direction arrow on the shield saved as double click right. I assigned this to the blue button. Voila, commercial skipping bliss.

At least for me, getting a double click to register properly on the Harmony was a little hit or miss.

1 Like

Oops, this is a bug. I’ll push an update today with the fix.

1 Like

Is it working again the latest beta?

Btw do the Page up/down buttons work for scrolling on the Guide and for changing channels in the player?

Well, I got back home and got a chance to look at this. Now the nexttrack button and the previous track button both jump to the beginning of the commercial break. Double tapping the right arrow key does still work correctly to skip the commercial break.

The page up and page down buttons are both grayed out on my iPad and aren’t selectable in the Harmony software when assigning commands to the buttons of the remote.

1 Like

Oops, copy/pasted the wrong thing for the “next” button. I’ve just uploaded a new beta with a fix.

Something seems wrong with the latest beta update. This seems to have created a new problem with recordings playback Now when I hit the right navigation button playback skips ahead but gets locked in to fast forward (high speed) playback. I can press the left button and playback speed returns to normal. I am even seeing this behavior using the shield remote. The next button will skip to the end of a commercial break now, but this also locks the shield into super fast playback.

Thanks for the report. This appears to be an issue with the new surround sound passthrough code, and only happens when Surround Sound is enabled in the Player settings.

indeed…i saw the same bug. Turned off surround sound in player settings and problem stopped.

So I finally got around to programming these last night to one of my universal remotes, and Channel up/down, Last Channel and Commercial Skip all work as intended. Thank you! Hopefully future upgrades will add in direct number keying and some of the shortcuts suggested in the first post.

However, I did detect a minor bug:

If Page Up or Page Down is pressed while in playing back a DVR recording, the Channels app immediately crashes. These buttons aren’t used in this context, but I’m sure you don’t want the app to crash if someone presses them by mistake…

I’ve submitted logs (last night) after the crash.

Are you sure this still happens with v1.0.6 from yesterday?

I programmed my remote around 9pm Eastern time and tried it. I hadn’t checked what version I was running, but will do when I get home. I have my shield set to autoupdate apps, so should have been whatever was current in playstore as of that time (and I’m a beta tester)…

1.06 installed. Bug no longer present. Thanks

1 Like

So after reading this, it seems that the better option to go with is the IR adapter for the shield to get the extra commands. Is that correct? I would like to program my remote for the page up/down, have a guide button, DVR button. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!!!

I use a FLIRC on my Shields.

Is there a command that gets to dvr or guide?

@tmm1 Do you currently have a keyboard command to record a show?

I would like to map my remote's record button to MEDIA_RECORD using FLIRC, but it does not seem to do anything while in Channels DVR Beta on Android TV.

Expected behavior would be:

• Begin recording show when in live view
  • Begin recording show when in grid view (of highlighted program)
  • Schedule recording of show when in grid view (of future show, if not live)

Long press could bring up Recording Options dialogue (Record, Record with Options, Create Pass).

KEYCODE_MEDIA_RECORD should work in the player

I have a FLIRC and no longer use it, much prefer the responsiveness of a Bluetooth or even a WiFi remote with plug in dongle. IR is so yesterday.

I wish Channels had a way to assign command to keys or learn.