Android TV Last Channel doesn't work

I am using Walmart Onn Streaming box.
It runs Android TV 10.
The remote does not have a dedicated Play/Pause button,
the button in the center of the navigation circle serves as Play/Pause and OK depending.
Dbl Click on that Play/Pause does not do Last Channel, nor does Dbl click on any other button do that.
Does anyone know how to make that work on Android TV??
Thanks
PS Dbl click Play Pause on my FireStick 4K works.

You answered your own question the Onn does not have a dedicated play/pause button that is different than hitting center button to play and pause. The firestick has a dedicated play/pause button.

Correct.
But sometimes there is a trick to get things to work in other ways.

I have a Sofabaton U1 with the Onn, and the last channel works when I get the double click speed right, so I wish there was a way to assign a dedicated button to avoid pausing the channel rather than going to the last channel.

1 Like

Set the previous button to a macro of the Play button pressed twice; that worked for me. Or better yet, use the remote to send the Backspace keycode, as that will tell the app to go to the previous channel:

Unfortunately, macros on the U1 don't work with Bluetooth, and I've tried the backspace key and that just takes me back to the guide.

Don't know what to tell you then, as both have worked for me in the past with the Sofabaton.

My best guess is backspace works on AppleTV, but is broken on Android, and Macros may work with IR if the TV accepts the pause/play code.
Lastly, IR is terrible on the U1 so that is not a good solution for me.

1 Like

Actually there is a play/pause button when watching a channel with Channels DVR on Android TV (specifically the Walmart Onn box in my case) The OK button in the center of the D-Pad.
And I think that assignment is up to app developers.
SO.... Developers... why not also code to look for the double click on the D-Pad OK button and do Last Channel???
PLEASE!!
I have looked into Button Mapper from Google Play store but most buttons are hard coded.
I tried doing Long Press assignment on the Change Input Button but did not see an assignment for Play-Pause or Double play-Pause.
I may try the Bookmark key but I expect there will not be the Play-Pause assignment or Double Play Pause assignment.
Has anyone tried that Button Mapper?

I just set up my U1 on my Apple TV. I assigned the red button to Live TV. When watching, if I’m not behind in the timeline, when I push the red button it goes to the previous channel (single click). Not sure if this works for Android as well but I was pleasantly surprised when I figured this out.

this has been working on Android for many months. tap Play/pause 2 times

On the ONN box:
tapping Pause/Play two times does Pause and Play in quick succession.
perhaps different on other Android boxes like NVIDIA
There is no Pause/Play button as such, its the center button on the D-Pad that works as Pause Play within Channels.
BUT in other apps is usually does not Pause Play, it's the OK button only.

No RED button on Onn box remote.
I didn't think there were the colored buttons on the AppleTV remote... OH the UI.

Sorry if I added confusion to an old thread. I was trying to reply to Jjustin who said he was using the U1 remote and wished there was a dedicated button to avoid having to double tap the play/pause button. I wanted to share that there is now a way on the U1 (at least with Apple TV) to achieve that. Worth a try on Android if you still have the U1 remote. I realize now that I didn’t properly quote his post in my reply.

No problem.
Every sentence here adds to the knowledge base, especially MY knowledge base.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information that pressing Live TV while watching a channel will take you to the last channel. This actually works on the Onn Android TV box, but I did notice that going back and forth to quickly between channels will crash the program.

I don't see a "Live TV" button on the ONN box remote.!!
There is one that looks like that but it is for YoutubeTV.

Does button mapper let you map to F1?

I don't see an "F1" ???
I am going to try Button Mapper for the "Bookmark" button, Upper left on image, below Power button.
a simple "Play/Pause" assigned and I will try Double Clicking the Bookmark button and see what happens.
It should send a double click for Play/Pause, we'll see.
I think that Bookmark button is the only button that can be safely re-assigned.
All the APP buttons including the "tv" button are "hard coded" and cannot be reassigned with Button Mapper.
Is it possible for Channels itself to look for Double Click on the D-pad center OK button
and intercept what it would normally do with a double click, which is a quick Pause and Play?

I tried Button Mapper as described above, Remap Bookmark button to Play/Pause.
Selected two different channels then tried to do Previous channel with Double tap on Bookmark button.
Does not work, it does nothing, keeps playing.
Single tap on Bookmark button does the same thing as center D-pad button, one tap-Pauses, tap again,Plays.
It does not seem to be able to take in a quick double tap on Bookmark and treat it as "Previous channel".
But Button Mapper did make Bookmark a Pause/Play which may be useful on other apps which do not recognize center D-pad as a Play/Pause...
This does work, it seems to take a blink before the pause like some kind of delay, maybe this is why Double tap does not work.

1 Like