Annual Channels Plus subscription option

I was one of the early Channels app users. I bought it both on AppleTV and later on iOS. I used it with the HDHR Prime box for a few years, but then I decided to cut the cord and went with SlingTV. Now I want to get an HDHR Duo for OTA to get local channels missing from SlingTV (CBS, NBC).

SlingTV has its own cloud DVR, which now has 50 hours for free. The HDHR DVR feature is $35 per year. Plex DVR is $40 per year or $150 lifetime. TiVo is $70 per year or $250 for all-in lifetime subscription. The TiVo OTA box works directly from within the SlingTV app.

Channels Plus is $80 per year and no lifetime. Provided that the app was very expensive (the most expensive app I’ve ever bought), and then I bought it again on iOS, I just don’t see paying $80 for the rest of my life.

Yes, the Channels can nicely aggregate everything I need in one app and record everything in one place (on my own hardware, so no cloud expenses are incurred by the Channels), but $80 per year in perpetuity is just way too much. I didn’t cut the cord to then incur perpetual subscription fee for a DVR service that runs on my own hardware. I can go with HDHR Duo and Plex on AppleTV and iOS for OTA with Plex DVR running on my NAS for $150 life-time subscription fee, and use SlingTV on Apple TV and iOS with free 50-hour cloud DVR. Or I can pay TiVo $250 and aggregate OTA with Sling in the SlingTV app. I would save thousands of dollars if I stay with one if these solutions for life compared to aggregating SlingTV with OTA in the Channels app and paying Channels Plus $80 annual subscription in perpetuity.

I would love to pay a one-time fee for the lifetime Channels Plus subscription. Right now it’s not even in the neighborhood of being competitive.

The developers have expressed that there is no interest in changing their subscription options.

Also, if you are using their DVR service, there is no charge for the apps; the free "Channels DVR" app works fine as long as you have an active DVR instance to attach it to.

2 Likes

I bought their apps several years ago.

Does it??? Any videos on this?

I'm sorry you don't feel the price is competitive then. But if you price out the cost of the apps on a monthly basis over several years, that comes to around $1/mo over three years, allowing for a $25 price of each a tvOS and iOS version. Considering most cable/satellite companies are charging $5-10/mo for each box/TV, that can be $720 just for the "outlet" cost that they charge over those same 3 years for just 2 instances.

I suppose we just have wildly different ideas of what comparable and competitive pricing are.

Something to consider, if you went the tivo route you would have to buy their other devices to extend your viewing options in your house.

To add plex live tv and recording is junk. :slight_smile: buggy from all my experiences.

1 Like

The ones that offer lifetime plans like Plex and EMBY their support sucks. At least here I get one on one support when needed.

4 Likes

And plex just released an arcade option. Wth is that!?

“Sling has it’s own Dvr with 50 hrs for free”

Not free, they raised the price $5 so they are forcing you to pay

I canceled and went to Spectrum choice. Everything integrates perfectly. I get channels not available with Sling and HBO max for half off

1 Like

I didn’t realize Sling increased the price on the Orange and Blue packages from $30 to $35 as of two weeks ago. But, this is only for new subscribers.

“Existing customers will continue to pay the lower rate until at least July 2021.”

Spectrum TV Choice is a live TV streaming service available only to Spectrum Internet customers.

The bottom line here is that I’d like a lifetime subscription option. Make it what you think is fair, but paying $80 per year in perpetuity is not going to fly with me. I’m sure you guys are missing out on a whole lot of customers by not having that option. Having perpetual subscription revenue is very nice for a business, but sometimes you may be missing on a whole lot of additional revenue by keeping people like me away. Give me an offer that you consider fare and let’s see if I buy it.

In today’s world, people switch TV options all the time. Most young people don’t even watch TV at all. And older people who still watch TV hate perpetual subscription fees. I will use two different apps to watch Sling and OTA if I can save $55 per year on the DVR service subscription or even pay $150 (or is it $120) to Plex for a lifetime DVR service. But, if you can limit my exposure to perpetual subscription fees, I will gladly pay premium for the Channels Plus superior experience as long as I’m not on the hook for a perpetual $80/year subscription fee. Otherwise, as much as I love Channels (as an early adopter), I won’t be paying you guys another penny.

Plex & TiVo have taught me that lifetime subscriptions aren't all they're cracked up to be. They got my money, they're not getting any more, and both of those companies have shown me time and time again that their primary concern is chasing the next dollar and they don't care all that much about my experience or preferences.

I'm happy to pay the Channels devs $80/year for their continued work.

13 Likes

Where do you think the guide data comes from. Someone's labor and resources are used to bring you this information and should be paid for.

2 Likes

You get what you pay for. There is a reason that Tivo is floundering around trying to stay afloat. "LIfetime" license fees for very small developers are a short time revenue fix that comes with a very long liability that has to be serviced. Its effectively a "ponzi scheme" because you can't possibly provide the service to your customers unless you bring in new ones and take their money to cover the liabilities you have already sold. Lifetime licenses are a terrible idea for both the developer and the customer. The only way it ever worked is if you had a mature product that has no significant future development going on so support is almost zero. That is certainly not the case with Channels DVR.

The "whole lot of customers" that they are missing out on are the ones that want the premium product but don't want to pay for it, in my opinion. Personally, I'm paying way less per month now taking advantage of all that Channels DVR provides me than what I was paying before I ditched cable. With Channels, we have an active developer that is continuing to enhance the product, and incented to do so. That is the subscription model that much of the software world is going to by the way. Sounds like you are ware of other DVR options with Lifetime options so you have choices, and good luck with them.

2 Likes

But you you chose Channels over these options. Why? Because Channels is a superior product.

I would LOVE to have the option of a lifetime pass and never have to pay again. But $80/year (22 cents a day) is still a pretty good deal...

6 Likes

THis has been discussed many times, and in many threads....and the devs will just come in and say what already was stated in the 2nd post and lock it.

@telecastle:

All of your arguments are very valid...as reasons to use Channels DVR.
You point to a number of disparate apps/services/companies and the multiple ways that they provide their services. None of them work with all of them. Channels DVR comes the closest.

If I were single (which I am not) and techie (which I am), I would definitely play the field...of DVR services. With Channels DVR, I can still play the field, with all of these streaming/cable options and still provide my wife and family the same user experience, via Channels DVR. This month, I might be on Spectrum cable and next month I might be on YouTubeTV, but my family just uses Channels DVR to get to what they are used to, and not have to learn a different app or boxtop every few months.

To me, it is worth what I pay. It may not be for you. And, that is okay. There may not be a single product that is right for everyone.

If the devs ever change their mind and offer a lifetime option, I would definitely consider it. It isn't a bad idea to me, but it may be to them.

3 Likes

Maybe they can have a basic lifetime service that just gets you the guide data and basic features for OTA only.

For many years, my wife and I supported ourselves by selling a specialized app. We charged thousands of dollars for the app and a monthly maintenance fee. We had customers using our app for over 15 years. Without the monthly fee, we could not have stayed in business, and all our customers would have been left high and dry.

For potential buyers, It comes down to a Cost/Benefit analysis. In other words what you pay vs what you get. With Channels, I get a lot. Comcast/Xfinity was getting $173/month from me, and it was not worth it, so I cut the cord. Sure, I would be happy to pay less, but not if the people at Channels couldn't earn a decent living.

A few years back, I bought a Sling Box with lifetime service. Now they tell me that in the not so far future, my box will stop working because they are shutting down their server. It appears that "Lifetime" isn't quite as long as it used to be.

When I started selling my app, I tried to please everyone. It took a while to realize that my goal was impossible.

You are totally in control. Only you get to decide how you spend your money. For some people $80/year is too much and for others, it is well worth it.

6 Likes

They do, it's called their paid app for tvOS and Android systems. It is $25 and gives you access to guide data and streams from local HDHomeRun tuners. (For iOS/iPadOS, there is a single free Channels app that provides guide data and access to OTA tuners, as well as working with a DVR server.)

The subscription to Channels Plus is only required for:

• DVR server
  • Expanded guide coverage
  • Novel sources (TV Everywhere, Custom Channels/M3U playlists, Locast)
  • Remote access/streaming

I meant with a DVR service. I know Tivo charges less for OTA only