Annual iOS & tvOS Beta Warning (2023)

Yep, seeing the same on tvOS 17 Public Beta, in the live timeline:

2 Likes

Yep same here.

Workaround for now is changing Apple TV's time format to 24hr :slight_smile:

Hate using 24hr but looks nicer than the random AM/PM for now haha

Interesting that the experimental video driver does not work with the Pluto channels.

What version of the client are you on that still has an experimental video driver? I am on the latest TestFlight, and the video driver options are “default” and “legacy.” And default works on all my channels, including Pluto. Audio has an experimental driver option. I’m using that and it works fine with Pluto content too though.

Maybe you need to update your client app?

I'm on 5.6.5. The options are Default and Experimental.

1 Like

This change happened in the TestFlight last September:

I vaguely recall that change. Apparently it never stuck. @maddox?

1 Like

Just realizing my error. I meant the audio driver, not video. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Hmm, Pluto content is playing fine for me in tvOS 17 with the experimental audio driver.

Not sure what's different about your setup, just sharing another data point.

Are you also using stereo HomePod 2nd generation pairs with 17.0?

I just checked and I'm having issues with Pluto channels where there is no audio and after a few seconds the video just pauses.

No, just one HomePod mini, and it’s on 16.6, not 17 beta. That’s just in the kitchen though. The other room’s TVs send audio to speakers in the walls via Sonos.

Having same problem on some news channels as well.

After extensive testing with tvOS 17, the latest TestFlight build of Channels on Apple TV and multiple HomePod Mini’s (also running tvOS 17), here are my observations:

• When watching live TV, recorded TV or a video, it starts to play video with NO audio for approximately 5 seconds and then pauses the video. Tapping pause a few times or RW/FF will cause the audio to engage and then the video will eventually catch up and play normally. This behavior occurs on all of my Apple TV’s running the beta, including those using a single HomePod mini as well as those using a stereo pair.

FYI, I’m using the default video driver and experimental audio driver.

2 Likes

I'm still experiencing this. Otherwise, audio through the HDHRs and HomePods is the best it's ever been.

Just curious,

Has anyone thats been playing with the TVOS beta seen any support for vpn on the apple tv yet?

Its the one feature that was announced that sounds almost too good to be true….

I'm using it and it works fine. I have Tailscale for TVOS installed. On the ATV home screen there is a little VPN symbol next to the clock to indicate you are connected.

Thank you. This is very good news indeed!

Are we good to update to tvOS 17 or should we still hold off?

If you’re using HomePods with any of your Apple TV’s I would wait as there are still issues with Channels and AirPlay. I’m hoping the devs are working on this as it has really been an issue for me especially after upgrading my HomePods…

2 Likes