Anyone coming from TiVo?

I currently have a lifetime Roamio OTA and a mini that I use for my whole home DVR solution. I’m trying to figure out if moving from TiVo to Channels is something that works best for us. For the most part I think that Channels does everything that my TiVo does. I like that if I want to add another TV then I can get another ATV and hook it up wired or wireless (so I don’t have to run another wire).

I’m just curious if others trying out this DVR are in the same boat that I am? Trying something new and giving up a Lifetime DVR (No fees) for something that is now fee based…

I am not in the same boat, but if you have lifetime OTA DVR now, you can try out the Channels DVR for $8 and then cancel if you don’t think it is any better than what you already have without fees.

I have actually already done that. I am also using the Channels DVR to get a good feel for it.

The ecosystem itself is a different situation when you add the expandability potential.

• Need more OTA tuners? add another extend or connect. I know of one person that has 3 connects and 2 extends. In my case, I have 4 primes, 1 extend.

• ChannelsDVR and the channels apps are currently (IMO) the best interfaces for SD tuners… BUT if you need to watch live tv on a mac (or android, or windows 10, or xbox one, or DLNA capable device), the free SD apps work for live viewing in addition to the channels system(s) since channels can co-exist with other software that uses the SD tuner sharing APIs.

• If you have access to cable in an area that does not require DRM for all channels, then you can easily expand the system by adding a prime when/if needed (in MANY areas, basic cable with internet is not that much more expensive than internet only from the cable co; and in some areas may be cheaper bundled)

1 Like

I came from TiVo, with a TiVo Bolt and 2 Mini’s. I now have 2 HDHomeRun Primes and 1 HDHomerun Connect, and it cost me less than selling my TiVo stuff. I didn’t have lifetime, so that was a main factor, and I’m on Comcast so I get everything but HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc on Channels that I did on my TiVo. The usability is almost as good, it’s just missing a clock on the guide and PiP when going back to the guide.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I guess I’m just trying to find a way to justify me ditching the TiVo, which works, for something that costs me a little more than my current setup and works as well :slight_smile:

The apps on the TiVo (like Netflix and Plex) never worked well for me, but on the Apple TV they’re great. That’s what makes the Apple TV my go to Media player for everything (minus 4K Netflix/Amazon Prime, and I use my TV for that). So I only really need an Apple TV at every TV, instead of an Apple TV and a TiVo. For my main TV I have an Xbox One S for 4K BluRays, but outside of that everything else just has an Apple TV.