Anyone getting micro-stuttering? +Siri issues

Has anyone noticed some micro-stuttering while watching a live recording? It usually manifests while watching a currently-recording live program on a delay and after you scrub/skip through the content.

It's as if the frame rate drops and you get very slight stuttering (on video only (audio is fine)). It's not the bitrate dropping, just frame rate. If I pause the stream for even a second and resume, the stuttering goes away. This is most obvious in sports where the motion doesn't seem smooth anymore. [sorry if I'm not explaining this correctly].

Background: This is on my AppleTV 4k, while watching an NBC Sports recording (TVE) that's currently in progress. I have a mesh network that the AppleTV is hardwired to and it gets ~150Mbps on a speedtest. The DVR server is an iMac. The AppleTV is getting anywhere from 35mbps-41Mbps connection to the DVR server. It happens on my FireTV as well and on my second AppleTV HD.

Secondly, I've noticed that every time you press the Siri button while watching Channels, the audio of whatever you're watching stutters for ~2 seconds when the Siri overlay appears. Any clues as to why and how to fix?

Go to Settings > Playback > Advanced > Audio Driver: Experimental

Worked for the micro-stutter on my Apple TV 4K. Thanks!!!

1 Like

I am also getting stuttering audio every time Siri is activated on my 4k apple TVs. I checked the settings but it looks like the experimental audio driver option is no longer available under the path described (@tmm1). I checked under other headings but did not see an option for audio drivers.

2 Likes

Settings -> Playback -> Advanced -> Audio Driver -> Experimental

1 Like

Thanks! I always adjust settings on the web UI. I didn’t realize they were talking about a setting in the AppleTV app. Thanks for the directions I have adjusted the setting.

The setting description seems to indicate that this is for Airplay2 but does flipping it on/off possibly affect other audio like Bluetooth?

Mostly just curious since i’m good now.

In my office I primarily use BT and
I’m not having issues since I upgraded to the latest ATV but interestingly I originally had the first gen of the ATV 4K (2017) and had no audio problems, upgraded to the 2nd Gen (2021) and had horrible intermittent crippling on BT. I tried about everything to fix it so thought for sure I tried flipping this setting but can’t be :100: sure since I now have the 3rd gen (2022) ATV which has been flawless.

My first clue that the 2nd gen was going to have BT audio issues was that I had a hard time getting it to pair. It had been a while so thought maybe that was just the usual random BT pairing. But the 3rd gen had no such issues and paired easily on the first try.

Fwiw, I am finding the 3rd gen to be more stable and snappier with Channels. The picture even looks better though I can’t explain why since it’s hooked up to a computer monitor with no hdr support.

Interesting, the setting description does specifically single out Airplay2. Since I didn't notice that description, I thought it affected all audio. That may just be a pour description from when they first made that driver available.

1 Like

You may be right. I don’t remember the description always saying airplay2 though but may not have noticed. Also feel like it fixed a non-airplay audio issue for me a while back. But that’s too long ago to say for sure :joy: