Anyone have Vudu streamlinks working on ATV 4K?

Is anyone using streamlinks to Vudu that work on Apple TV 4K? If so, would you be willing to share the streamlink format you use? (I have been able to get streamlinks working for other services, so I'm fairly sure I'm using streamlinks in a generally correct way).

I'm aware that Vudu is not listed as a supported service on the Support page at Channels Support - Import Content from Streaming Services with Stream Links

I've also seen other posts asking about this, such as Stream Links on Android/Google TV - #6 by cncb, and as no solution was identified, perhaps this is not possible on ATV either.

But I ask about this because when I did try putting in a Vudu streamlink, it did work correctly from the Channels app on iOS -- it correctly opened up the Vudu app on the same device. But it did not work on ATV, so I wondered about the difference on iOS vs TVOS.

Any suggestions appreciated! -- thanks in advance!

Are there other apps which can launch Vudu on Apple TV? Like WatchAid ReelGood TV+ etc

@tmm1 -- thanks for the reply.

I wasn't aware of those apps but will look into and try them on ATV and report back -- thanks!

In my experience, those other apps (JustWatch, which seems the most extensive and is my favorite, as well as Reelgood and WatchAid) just have access to VUDU's "free to watch" content, not to the purchased titles in my library. But maybe I did something wrong?

But I'd love to be able to add working VUDU streamlinks to Channels for this if possible, I requested it early last year when the streamlinks feature was first introduced.

Happy to know it works on iOS! If it can work on tvOS too, that would be a gamechanger and I'd be adding lots of titles to my Channels library this way. Thanks for mentioning it!

2 Likes

OK, reporting back :slight_smile:

To clarify my thinking, I found it useful to distinguish between:

1. Free content on Vudu.

2. Content on Vudu that has been purchased by the user but is not in MoviesAnywhere.

3. Content on Vudu that has been purchased by the user and IS in MoviesAnywhere.

On ATV 4K:

• Verified that I am logged into Vudu app and can access and play my purchased but non-MoviesAnywhere content while in that app, and also a purchased movie that is in MoviesAnywhere.

• Using Siri Remote: found the non-MoviesAnywhere movie that I had just tested in the Vudu app. List of options for where to play it includes various services (eg Hulu) but not Vudu.

• Using Siri Remote: found the MoviesAnywhere movie that I had just tested in the Vudu app. List of options for where to play it includes various services (eg Apple TV itself) but not Vudu.

• Using Siri Remote: found a movie I know is in Vudu Free. List of options for where to play it includes various services (including Plex) but not Vudu Free.

• Install JustWatch. List of services to connect shows Vudu Free but not Vudu, so I did not try playing anything.

• Install Reelgood. List of services to connect to shows Vudu (but maybe only Vudu Free?). When I select that service, message appears saying something like: "No direct link available". When I actually add the movie I know is in Vudu Free to my "to-watch" and press play on Reelgood on ATV, it says something like: "No app found for this".

And, a possible (partial) explanation:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251330346

That explanation is from 2 years ago, and suggests that the only linkage between ATV and Vudu is via MoviesAnywhere. So content that is not in a user's MoviesAnywhere will not show up or be playable in Vudu.

That still implies that it should be possible to play MoviesAnywhere content in Vudu directly. And I'm fairly sure that I at some point in the past used to be able to do a Siri Remote search and open links in Vudu (pretty sure it was for all kinds on content, not just MoviesAnywhere).

But that clearly does not happen now. Maybe something changed with the Fandango acquisition? Not sure when that happened.

Sigh... guess I will have to stick with PlayOn Cloud recording from Vudu.

EDIT: deleted my question about PlayOn recording quality from below, and posted it in a separate thread.