Anyone using a Mac mini 2018?

I have a Mac mini 2012 currently running Channels DVR and Plex. I’m planning on upgrading my Nas to a DS918+ as it seems overkill to just be running Channels and Plex on my Mac as well as my current Nas at the same time?

Just to add that there are some services that I want to run on docker that I’m struggling with on Mac that hopefully will be a bit more straightforward on Synology....

Out of curiosity, which model did you get?

I got the i7 with 2TB SSD (now thinking 2TB wasn't necessary, but maybe I'll thank myself down the road), and 10Gbps network card, although only running it at 1Gbps right now.

I'm wondering if I would be better served to get a Synology DS-728+ instead....

1 Like

Really depends on what you want to get from it. I like the Mac features it supports, like Airdrop, handoff, etc. It's useful for me, the way I use the mini.

I just ordered a 2018 i5/8/256 mac mini refurb. Can't wait to get it!

1 Like

I have mac mini 2018 8GB it works great. I am using it with Google Drive storage.

Seems pretty expensive machine :slight_smile:

I would also typically go for an i7, but looking at the benchmarks, a 2018 i5 will be more than enough for my needs.

I noticed that too..the benchmarks didn't seem like it would give me any advantage really. I'm already way above where I was with my 4th gen laptop processor.

It was a bit more than I needed, but also was future proofing a bit too.

This would still be nice to have if it's not too difficult to add!

1 Like