API issue: won't play on first launch

Hi All,

First of all, I’m new to the app and found my way here via Maddox from Home Assistant Forum.

I’ve been testing the beta on a Shield and I’ve noticed using when using the API to:

1. launch the app from background (specifically the home screen of the Shield)
  2. change the channel

The app launches and tunes to the correct channel but black screen is displayed with the play/status bar at the bottom, after around 20seconds a message is displayed “HDHomeRun Not Available”.

Using the following command:
curl -X POST http://192.168.1.32:57000/api/play/channel/101

If I use the command after launching the app, everything works perfectly. I haven’t tested this in the non-beta version yet.

Hmm, the api would only work if the app was running in the first place. Can you elaborate on the exact steps to reproduce the issue?

Also what version of Android is on your shield?

@tmm1

Shield Android TV SW Version: 6.3(24.32.406472)
Kernel version: 3.10.96+
Android security patch level: 5 Jan 2018
Version: 7 (not sure what this is referring to but it’s in the About of the device)

I have recorded a video that will hopefully explain it a bit better: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FIm-TMG4aHYTJe1ubTGEsbON-sL9Y61a/view?usp=drivesdk

Let me know if you need me to test anything else. More than happy to help :slight_smile:

Thanks, that’s helpful.

So at the end of the video when you got it working after launching the app… if right afterwards you leave the app and go to the home screen again, does the API stop working again?

Can you check if it makes a difference whether you leave the app by clicking the Back button vs the Home button.

Also under the SHIELD’s Settings > Apps > Channels what is the version number shown?

That correct. Works perfectly when I launch the app. From Home or any other app it launches the correct channel but does not play.

Just noticed another scenario. If I launch via API from home screen to a channel (e.g. 104) I get the black screen as in the video, then quit back to home, send same command to same channel again (104) and it plays, I can then send a command to switch to any other channel and it works.

If I press the back button from the app, regardless of how I launch it it will just keep taking historical steps back, e.g. back press = change to last channel, back press = change to channel before that, back press = Go to guide and so on. Only way I can quit the app is by pressing Home.

I’m running the beta for scheduling, haven’t tested any of this on the current public release. Version is 1.0.24-beta.

Regards

Your beta build is slightly out of date, but that shouldn’t matter.

It’s not clear what’s going on… when I try the same thing here, it works as expected.

Can you try looking at the app’s logs while the player is sitting and spinning to see what it says. You can access via http://x.x.x.x:57000/log

I’ve uploaded a new beta which should fix this issue. You should see the version “1.0.24.beta-v91” in Settings>Apps after updating.

Thank you. I’ll give it a try this evening (UK)

Can I force the update from the app menu for the beta?

Thank you

@tmm1 updated the app, it now doesn't seem to always change channel, launches the app but plays the last channel that was tuned.

Below you'll see I requested 106 but returned 101

Cheers
Michael

Seems if the command is sent twice it then works

Just realised that it IS tuning to the correct channel but it’s the status that comes back via the API that has the incorrect channel info (shows previous channel) as does the app, the player bar at the bottom shows the previous channels show name and PNG image. But seems to be working reliably now.

I’ve uploaded a v94 beta which should fix the problems you were seeing with the channel info not updating.

Thank you.

I'm now not seeing a TV Guide. Was ok yesterday evening.

Native HdHomeRun app is showing EPG data

Cheers

Check your DVR to make sure guide data shows there

It was showing there OK. I’ve just force quit the app on the Nvidia and launched it again and now it’s come back.

Okay I see the problem. Will fix.

Are all the API functions working as expected now?

Thank you. Yes all working as expected now.

1 Like