App and or turner handoff possible?

Hey Community,

Quick question, if I start a show on my iOS device and want to hand it off to my TVOS device so I’m at the exact same point in time as I was on my iOS device, is that possible? Ex: I pause a football game and I’m x minutes behind live on my iOS device and want to “hand off” the tuner to my Apple TV native app (vs AirPlay) so I can continue and advance back to live at some point if I would like.

From browsing the community for an answer to this, it sounds like caching is local to the device and it’s not possible to hand it to another device, but I figured I’d ask just in case I’m not understanding how it all works. Please let me know.

This is indeed the situation.

As a work around, set the program to record, and watch the recording. When you pause and back out on one device, you can resume from that position on a different device.

Thanks for the reply, that’s a good workaround! Question though, where in the UI can you set an in progress show to start recording? I just went back in time on my iOS device to start the recording 5 min behind real time, but I’m not seeing anywhere in the iPhone or iPad app to start the recording.

I don't think you can from the video player. You have to back out to the guide, I believe (on iOS/iPadOS).

Bummer, and by doing that, I’d lose the cache right?

Correct. But, the cache wouldn't be part of the recording, either, because cache is local only, and the server cannot access it.

Ok, so AirPlay it is for this use case. Thanks for your help!