App not opening

Hi, I am new to channels and the HDHomerun device and am having many problems getting everything set up.

First my set up is all Apple (computer, Apple TV 4) I have connected my Device (HDHR3 US) and downloaded the appropriate software. I have also downloaded the Channels App for ATV4. When I go to my main menu on the ATV, I can see the channels app but when i select it to open it does nothing. I have deleted and re installed the app and still nothing. The HDHomerun software recognizes the device, but says “No Channels”. I am at a complete loss here and have tried to search for any information to troubleshoot this and have found no help or solutions to this problem.

When you goto myhdhomerun.com from a browser. Does that work and Show you your hdhomerun decice? Can you scan channels there? This is the older Dual model, so it may be that you need to manually update the firmware. What version is it running?

Hi, Yes it is running the latest firmware. Homerun View does not let me scan channels
Model: HDHR3-US
Device ID: 103C2443
Firmware: 20161117

HomeRun View shows:

2/25/2017
platform:QT
using external API
found 1 device
103C2443 HDHomerun DUAL
103C2443: No Channels.

Then on my ATV4 I am trying to use the Channels 2.0 app and it will not open.

If it says you don’t have channels on the hdhomerun, you should fix that first. Is there something wrong with your antenna?

new antenna, if i connect direct to tv, it works fine, when i connect antenna to Homerun device it says “no channels” how do i fit that. I am using an Apple computer Mac book Pro using latest OS.

It needs to scan the channels again. It should be a menu item. It needs channels and an IP address before you go further

how do i do that? there is no menu… just a screen with the HD logo and in the lower corner there is the info i provided you earlier in the post.

Well, I’m a PC, but the app that you download to your Mac from the my.hdhomerun.com page should let you pick your zip code and scan for channels.

For these older models, it’s only possible to scan via the hdhomerun windows setup utility or the Channels app. The HDHR Mac software does not let you discover channels with the HDHR3-US

I was able to get the channels to scan, now everything freezes and pixelates and is completely in watchable, the homerun device is connected directly to Ethernet, ATV4 is on wifi.

So the app is starting up now?

Sounds like a bad antenna signal.

What kind of wifi router? Is it 802.11ac?

yes, i shut everything down and rebooted ATV. App began to work. It scanned OTA channels but only picked up a portion of them. When i try to rescan, it says tuner failed to lock. the channels that it does get are all pixilated and freeze and are completely unwatchable. My equipment is as follows:

Time Warner Cable internet to Apple Time Capsule with Airport Extreme built in 3rd generation. The Apple is set up as a router and wifi device. HDHomerun is ethernet connected to the Apple time capsule. My apple TV gen 4 is connected via wifi. I also have an apple express set up as a wifi network extender. My wifi signal is strong and good and none of my other streaming apps such as Direct now have this problem.

When you stream to your computer, do you see the same pixelation issues?

Internet streaming requires much less bandwidth compared to raw mpeg2 OTA signals. The airport express is only 802.11n so using that as an extender could be the issue.

Try to verify the antenna signal is good first, by streaming to a device which is either wired into the router or close to the main wifi access point.

it does it on every device weather wired direct to the router or wifi, i have a small house/yard, my router is in my detached garage about 35 - 45 feet from the ATV4. i have a full signal without the extender inside my house at the ATV. the router allows for 2.4 GHz or 5GHz wifi channels. I was using an RCA SLVR indoor amplified antenna which i returned tonight in favor of a non amplified outdoor RCA small Yagi type antenna that i will mount to the peak of the garage and face in the direction of the transmitter towers.