Apple Announces Apple TV 4K With A15 Bionic Chip and HDR10+ for $129

I think they finally landed on a great price point. Yeah, it's still more expensive than a Fire Stick, but the Apple TV, especially with this A15 in it, is leaps and bounds better than the $40 options.

3 Likes

Welp, I take some of that back. Apple continues to be stingy in the SKU department. You gotta pay extra for ethernet :roll_eyes:

Wi-Fi
with 64GB¹ storage
$129.00

Wi-Fi + Ethernet
with 128GB¹ storage
$149.00

2 Likes

The higher priced model also supports Thread for HomeKit, whereas, the lower priced model does not.

also double the storage.

Not a cent from me until they fix live HDR. It's ridiculous how this has languished this long.

2 Likes

I am ok with the the $149 more expensive model. I want my Apple 4K to be wired, so an extra $20 is tolerable.

The cheaper model (64GB) retailing at $129 is at the current sale price of the 2021 64GB model, so that's cool. And Apple did separate out the 2021 models (32Gb / 64Gb) by $20 for the extra memory. I am actually surprised they lowered the price points at all.

Though I wish I knew if the darn remote finally will get "Find My." You would have thought that the AppleTV remote would have been the first thing to get "Find My" when the 2021 models came out.

3 Likes

It does not.

1 Like

So I now have 3 AppleTV4Ks (1 the old model, 2 are the newer). I think it's great that they lowered the price point, but I got both of my newer-gen ATV4Ks for around $120 each. I don't see anything that makes the latest-model a "must-have" for me. Anyone else?

1 Like

A strange decision indeed given the outgoing model also supported Thread!

I'll soon have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen Apple TV 4K :sweat_smile:

Would have been nice, but maybe adding the U1 chip was too cost prohibitive. The remote is already quite pricey. I think even just adding a tiny speaker (like the one in the new AirPods Pro 2 case) would be quite useful though, as we could get it to chirp, via Siri, our iPhones, iPads, Macs, Apple Watches. That would be enough to help us find a lost remote, in the laundry basket, refrigerator, creases of the couch, etc. Lost remotes don't usually get found outside the home.

4 Likes

Damn. No onboard usb c or way to connect a usb dac.

1 Like

surprisingly there is USB-C… on the remote!

3 Likes

I wish they would put usb C on the apple tv instead of the remote. Id like the ability to revert TVOS to earlier versions, or add some local storage.

1 Like

Charge only no doubt

Storage on the apple tv never been an issue for me even with 32gb model I have.

1 Like

How does one migrate to a new Apple TV? Never done so. My Apple TV is my core home hub that powers HomeKit and thread devices.

Can I just remove the old one and setup the new one and via iCloud it will just auto restore my apps settings etc and re configure my Thread / HomeKit devices?

2 Likes

It also doesn't include a charging cable for the remote.

Unless you buy one in Brazil. Presumably because of this.

Lol. Peak Apple?

2 Likes

If you use the same Apple ID on all your Apple TV's you can set up "One Home Screen" and all the apps and arrangments will sync for all of your Apple TV's. When you rearrange the app layout on your Livingroom TV the Bedroom updates also, same if you delete or add an app. You still have to authenticate apps individually. Customize the Apple TV Home Screen - Apple Support

As far as Homekit I have only one Apple TV enabled as a HomeHub. I use the one most centrally located in my house and connected to ethernet. All others I have disabled as HomeHubs.

2 Likes

I only have the one Apple TV. And i jsut wondering what is proper "migrate" process. As i normally just fully remove/unplug old thing, install new thing, and setup that new thing. I assume Apple is smart enough to reconfigure HomeKit things. I have several Thread devices as well as HomeBridge setup.

Hey, the world screamed at Apple to move to USB-C so they could use the same cables they already have. Don’t be upset when Apple tries to save a dime. :joy:

6 Likes

There’s literally nothing to migrate on an Apple TV. There’s no backup. There’s no restore.

Just sign in and if you have Home Screen syncing turned on, it will redownload all your apps for you. You’ll still have to re-authorize them.

3 Likes