Apple TV 4K - Stuttering Video

I'm having some issues on my ATV 4K, it's stuttering whilst watching live TV.

It's hardwired into the same switch as the HD Homerun and the DVR NAS. I have another Apple TV Gen 4 but not 4K which is wireless in another room and that is working fine.

Any ideas / and information you want me to dig out of some logs or anything? I should also add that the 4K TV has automatically updated to the new beta (which was an accident...) so I guess there is a good chance that is the issue?

EDIT - I am also getting this with recordings on the wired AppleTV 4K, again the wireless AppleTV is fine.

Was it working fine before the beta?

Where is your dvr running?

Unfortunately I only got it set up for the first time last night and the aTV was already updated. As for where it is running, do you mean hardware? It's on a Synology DS218+ with 6GB RAM

I am as well having sputtering issues since upgrading to the new iOS on all 4 of my ATV. Channels has previously worked smoothly. All hardwired, using HDHomeRun PRIME, current updates, no DVR.

Same here. Also having stuttering issues on ATV4K with HDHR Prime and Channels running on Windows 7.
ATV hard wired using Moca 2.0 over coax direct from the router. This particular setup has worked flawlessly for four months. All the issues seem to be in the past two or three weeks.
Also, internet Speedtest shows steady 90Mbs+ and other streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon have had no issues.

Same stuttering video here (ATV 4K, Synology DS218j, HD Homerun, all wired), usually have to reboot ATV to resolve. I've had this setup for a couple of months and it has always happened - apparently randomly.

I've seen some improvement since the latest beta, but I have an issue with stuttering resuming a recording after pausing and have to go back to the main menu and resume again to fix it

Is this the issue I'm having? Audio is ok but the image stutter/judders for a split second every few seconds.

Is this what everyone is seeing?

I am on Apple TV 4K and don’t have any issues like this.

I've not had any more issues with the later versions of the beta.

I'm going to download the beta and try it :slight_smile:

Instantly better! Sharper picture on HD channels, faster changing of channels and no stuttering that I can see.

When will this beta be published in the app store? :slight_smile:

What is the exact version number of the beta and store app you're using?

I've removed the app store version from my ATV but I have the very latest beta.

I need the version number shown on the Settings tab. Currently there are zero differences between the beta and store apps, so it doesn't make sense that you would see different behavior between the two.

Can you reinstall the app store build and try it again?

Sure :slight_smile:

I used a news ticker for the quality. Lettering was blurred on App Store version but it may have been outdated. Does the App Store version have commercial skip? I know mine didn't but the beta does.

Oddly, I reinstalled the App Store app last night and my wife complained (not knowing anything about the apps) it is stuttering again.

To describe it, the audio is fine but the video every few seconds appears to stop for a split second, like it is dropping frames. It only does it on HD channels broadcasting in 1080i. I'm not sure if it isn't changing over to 50hz (I have SDR switch enabled) or what?

It doesn't appear the beta app does it. I'll have to investigate more.

Plex is fine - but obviously it is interlaced.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Stuttering on ATV watching live TV without EXTEND transcoding