Apple TV 4K vs. Apple TV HD (performance only)

Hi, Channels Community!

I have an HD TV, so this question has nothing to do with picture quality (I'm okay with HD).

I am considering replacing my older Apple TV HD with the brand new Apple TV 4K. Although it's partially future-proofing, I am most interested in performance right now. Purely on a utility basis — loading the app, switching channels, etc. — the new unit with the A12 Bionic chip should be an improvement on the old unit with the A8 processor, correct? Things should generally be zippier and less laggy?

Again, I realize I'm not going to get a 4K picture on an HD TV, I just wonder if the performance will be increased.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

The new has better hardware so it should be in improvement on a box that already is zippy an barely lag if any. My channels change real quick. I still placed an order for the new one.

2 Likes

Yes performance will be improved. Picture quality will also be improved as you will be able to use Metal deinterlacing.

3 Likes

It's also a better network connection.

2 Likes

Mine tends to sieze up, especially if I pause and resume playing, or try to scrub on recordings. I usually have to quit out of Channels and restart. It's not that big of a deal, but I'd like it better if that did not happen. Both my server (an older Mac Mini) and my Apple TV HD are hardwired, not on wifi.

I'm hoping the A12 processor in the new Apple TV will help. Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I completely forgot about this. We have gigabit ethernet; it would be nice to have hardware that can take advantage of it!

1 Like

I didn't know this. Fantastic! Thanks for the info.