Apple TV + Channels + HomePods

When should we expect a stable tvOS/iOS release that integrates the latest improvements for HomePods in Stereo Pairs, and related setups? The latest comments above are very promising. Later release version than the current 5.8.1.

1 Like

There is no schedule. Grab the beta now, and you can have the fixes immediately.

Ok. I figured out how to get the TestFlight Beta build onto Apple TV. Thanks.

Is there a beta also for the hdhomerun version?

No, the beta program is for subscribers only.

Hey guys.

I’m a subscriber, May I have access to the beta channel? I use HomePods with Apple TV+ channels, and the only unreliable feature is that when I use fast channel changing, By pressing up on the remote to move up a channel, the audio Stops working.

But if I exit the video player completely, and I run the channel directly from the guide, It’s flawless. It’s something about restarting the stream somehow

Anyway, can I beta test?

Yes you can:

I’m still finding with the latest betas that although audio is way way better on default driver with OG HomePods - there is no airplay controls via Siri, iPhone or Apple Watch.

If you ask Siri to pause - she doesn’t know anything is playing.
Switching to experimental audio driver brings this back - but at the expense of really broken audio. Stutters etc.

I’m hoping this is known issue and on list of things to still fix before next stable release?

Spatialise stereo working with AirPods Pro and latest TestFlight (v2024.04.02.0113). No video freezing.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey guys,

I’ve been following along with attempts at improving the audio for HomePods and there appears to have been a regression in the last few betas. Currently testing 4.6.1947.

I have og HomePod in stereo pair with apply tv 4K.

The new default driver now has huge audio stuttering and the legacy driver is worse than the previous default. Delays in audio starts.

The improvements made to audio in 2.21.300 totally nailed it. So I don’t know why it’s gone backwards again. The only issue Ive noticed post improvements in 2.21.300 was that airplay controls (via Siri, iPhone, Apple Watch etc) are completely missing.

Cheers

I am having the same issues with the current Beta. Channels pause when starting and I have to stop and start the channel again. Worked fine with the Experimental Driver and previous betas.

If you can make an iphone video of the behavior and email to [email protected] that would be helpful.

thanks @tmm1 - have emailed a video on this evening.

I’m getting the same symptoms with my HomePod OG stereo paid.

Old default driver seemed to work the best with audio lag and also pip.

Legacy seems to not quite be the same and the new default (old experimental) has issues with pip for me still.

Please try force quitting the app (click TV/Home button twice and swipe up on the app) after switching to the Legacy driver.

This should be better.

A stable v5.8.2 is going out today, with a new Default audio driver which supports HomePods

2 Likes

Awesome to hear, does that mean experimental will no longer be there, or have any benefit to it?

This is officially resolved (until tvOS 18 :thinking:) and I’m going to close the thread.

Thanks to everyone for testing and your patience while we worked through it.

1 Like