Apple TV Channels Simple Mode?

Hi:

Is there anyway to get Apple TV Channels in a "simple mode". I have one setup for my mother, but she isn't very technical and gets confused about it. Ideally, I want when launching channels to always to into a specific channel & mode like "On Now" or "Favorites". When clicking the "<" button on the Apple TV remote it just exit versus showing the "On Now", "Guide" & "Settings". So, a simple interface and automated mode for those less technically inclined.

1 Like

On a per-client basis you can go into Settings > General > Startup, and pick which default live TV channel to always launch into. Also Settings > General > Manage Navigation, you can turn off any superfluous menu items.

I'd also recommend using Channel Collections to narrow down the selection to just her favorites. Remove any other section (like All, SD, HD, etc.) so it's not overwhelming. Easier for channel surfing (up and down) that way.

Oh and Kiosk mode might not be a bad idea:

1 Like

Actually, to turn off menu items on the Channels Apple TV application.

Settings > General > Live TV

But, you can't disable the "Guide", which I would like to disable from the side menu.

And would really like if "kiosk mode" was an option with the Apple TV Channels application as would like to disable the "Settings", "Guide" and "On Now" if you are selecting "Live TV" and a channel for the startup anyways from side menu?

Why require DVR server to enable this feature? I not using DVR, just want to have "kiosk mode" enable option for Apple TV application and a difficult Apple TV remote combination to get out of it if something needs to be tweaked and you need access to "Settings" again.

How do you send in a feature requests to the developers?

Or maybe an option from your mobile phone (iOS or Android) to have options for the Apple TV application management.configuration that require DVR server like "Kiosk Mode" etc. Maybe, the iOS & Android Channels application would have management option if you are running Channels on a Apple TV or similar product.

Kiosk mode has an option to be disabled by clicking or tapping the logo multiple times in the about screen. It’s been broken for a while, and that’s on us.

We’ll look at it again soon and get it fixed.

Using the server side setting has been the work around for this.