Apple TV connected to ethrnet through coax MoCa adapter

I used to be a cable tech back in the day. Terminators are never a bad thing but I doubt they will help you here. Typically ingress affects the return path and since cable modems return path is under 20mhz. This frequency band is very susceptible to interference. Ingress on the reverse will also affect all devices on the cable not just a single one. Since moca uses frequencies well above the 20mhz range it's unlikely that it will make much deference. Again, they are never a bad idea but don't be surprised if they don't show a noticeable difference.

I have 5 MOCA adapters and I struggled to get them working great all of the time. After a bit of research, I found this device:

PPC Entry Series Active Return 9-Port MoCA Amplifier Model: PPC-9M-U/U

I believe there is a 5 port version as well. I get 950mb - 980mb at each terminal and 3.4-3.9ms latency. This device serves as the hub for all coax runs and carries my antenna and internet connection from my ISP. It sits in my garage and I've not touched it since.

I have no idea if this help with your situation, but it fixed mine (back when I have tivo mini's everywhere).

You are probably correct since I removed the 6-way splitter and all open coax and I still have the issue. Today I am going to try with a different router I have a brand new one (G3100) in my closet as a spare. What I did not realized that on the upper level where I have the E3200 extender the ethernet is having a similar problem with my second mac in the guest room. The E3200 is connected through coax on the MoCA part of the network. The second computer I don't use but my wife does so I had no feedback until yesterday. It's been going on for a while but she said eventually she got the connection going by refreshing the browser.

It's been a few years but I used to have fios before I moved. The first thing I did was to ditch the VZ router. I used my own pfsense router and plugged the cat5 directly into tbe ONT. My experience was so much better after ditching that POS. Then I added a few unifi access points to cover the house and I was in business.
I did have to run cat5 in the house through the attic, wall fishing etc. We don't have basements here either so understand where moca may be your only option.

After a lot of testing and inspecting all my wiring I found in the outside of the house a connection from the basement splitter to the basement TV where I thought it just went through the inside wall actually went out and back in. No-good reason for that setup so I eliminated it and rerouted for now it looks good no delay. The caps are on their way and should be here today and I also ordered some compression connectors with the compression tool.I would like to replace some of them.

1 Like

Try power-cycling the MoCA adapter.
My Actiontec MoCA adapters were running continuously. I found that occasionally, they would lock-up or not work work properly. A power-cycle would clear the problem. Eventually, the adapter will fail altogether. My adapters were lasting about 5 years with continuous use.

It was bad cable connecter. Now it's all good.

3 Likes