Apple TV dropping frames when AirPlaying

I am out of town on business. The hotel Wi-Fi is to slow to stream so I am airplaying to my Apple TV and streaming from my iPad mini over cellular. The Apple TV isn’t connected to WiFi just airplaying only to the Apple TV. For some reason at some point about 1 min or 2 into the stream it starts dropping frames it’s goes smooth for a second or 2 and then drops a frame and so on and so forth. Is this an Apple TV bug or something with the Channels app. I’m going to try a few other apps YouTube, etc and see if I get the same results.

Thank you!

1 Like

Channels does not support AirPlay.

What you are doing, is mirroring, which captures your whole iOS screen as a video and casts it via AirPlay. I'm not surprised it's dropping frames.

Yes just mirroring. Is it possible to support AirPlay in the future? Just trying to find a solution to watch it on a big screen using cellular and not the hotel WiFi which is slow.

What about tethering your Apple TV to your phone?

I could do that but I only have 10gb of hotspot data and I can chew through that pretty quickly. It’s better to be on cellular since it is unlimited but want to be able to watch on a big screen instead of my iPad mini.

Try a usbc dock with hdmi output. My ipad connects to TV's in hotels percfecrly. The ipad becomes the controls for channels and the TV displays the content :+1:

You could always use a dongle. I have a lightning/HDMI I use. And if you have a current iPad or iPhone Pro, their USB-C ports can use standard USB-C accessories, like USB display adapters.

I have a USB-C dongle with power passthrough but would have to get up to change what I am watching because there is no remote. For now the solution is to just use Plex and just have to skip commercials manually when traveling.