Apple TV Guide Show Description

Is there a way to get the second line description to show in the Apple TV guide? I want the Apple TV guide here:

To look like the guide in the browser here:

There’s no plans to add the episode title there.

Interestingly enough, I understand your concern in your example, as it’s not descriptive enough.

We actually handle that for all sports in Channels in that, for sporting events, we instead show the event title first and the title second, since it has more meaning.

You are not seeing this because you’re using Custom Channels with third party guide data that doesn’t have enough information for Channels to know it is a sporting event.

If you were using the built in guide data, it would work.

In order for third party guide data to properly tag an airing as a sporting event, it should have this tag:

<category>Sports event</category>
2 Likes

I wondered how you guys did that. I'll try to add that tag. I use IPTVBoss. Maybe there's an option.

** edit -- yeah, I think I'm screwed.

<programme start="20240307000000 +0000" stop="20240307020000 +0000" channel="BigTen.us">
    <category lang="en">Sports</category>
    <category lang="en">Basketball</category>
    <desc lang="en">From Breslin Center in East Lansing, Mich. Breslin Center, East Lansing, MI, USA.</desc>
    <sub-title lang="en">Northwestern at Michigan State</sub-title>
    <title lang="en">College Basketball ᴺᵉʷ</title>
    <live />
  </programme>
1 Like

For what it's worth, it would be really great if you guys would add the option for those who want it.

1 Like

is it possible to have channels respect the new/live tag from epgs and show it on the guide?

<new></new>
    <live></live>
1 Like

It does.

Hmm...Then what am I doing wrong?
Here's an image of emby guide and channels guide both using the same EPG

this is the epg data

<programme start="20240304170000 +0000" stop="20240304190000 +0000" channel="150">
<title>The Pat McAfee Show</title>
<subtitles type="teletext"/>
<desc>Former NFL punter Pat McAfee brings his humor and candor to the microphone to highlight the day's top stories.</desc>
<date>20231201</date>
<category>Sports</category>
<category>Sports Talk</category>
<language>en</language>
<episode-num system="original-air-date">2024-03-04 17:00:08</episode-num>
<video>
<quality>HDTV</quality>
</video>
<new/>
<live/>
</programme>

It does not do it in the grid guide where you can see multiple shows at a glance.

The Grid guide shows nothing just the name of the shows ... very limited. You have to scroll through the shows to view description.

Same with the guide on the server.

Thanks for the info. I knew that but thought @tmm1 meant thats its possible on the guide. Would it then be possible to add those tags to the guide view as clicking individual programs to check seems overly complicated?

1 Like

The blue bar in that image indicates new

wow...thanks that's good to know. is there a color coding for live?

edit.
wait, thats just for the server, the clients don't show any of that or is that also something i'm missing?