Apple TV warning

Take an alcohol wipe and scrub down the remote, working the buttons as you do. This always fixes the crunchy buttons for me.

wow this is a thread that just won't die.

1 Like

One of the first things I tried. no change. itā€™s internal to the button mechanism on the board. Many other people report same thing in redit.

confirmed. the Apple TV does not support more than one stock remote.

I wonder if the Shield supports pairing of multiple stock remotes.

Absolutely -- 4 stock remotes on Shield Pro in my living Room, and 2 on the tube Shield in our summer house.

You are truly a psychopath. Everyone knows there is truly only one remote lord. Wanting 4 people to have the ability to control the tv is ludicrous and bordering on insane.

But seriously just use your damn iPhone remote control app.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what the issue is - we have 2 appleTVs in our house, and if Iā€™m in one room and my wife is in the other, my Apple remote will affect both units. I have to make sure the door is closed so my remote doesnā€™t affect what she might be watching in the other room. And on my Samsung TV, my apple remote turns on and off both the TV and AppleTV with one button, although I have to keep my Sceptre remote handy just to turn that TV off/on - the Apple remote does the rest fine -

same as mentioned before, once one is paird, i try to use the other one, it says move closer to pair. So it seems to unpair the old remote.

Maybe u are using older gen apple tv remotes, this is the current gen or what they call 2nd gen Siri remote, silver metal with buttons. They are bluetooth remotes, not IR.

I have no experience with the older gen Apple TVs and their horrific touchpad remote abomination.

That touchpad remote is also what allows for very price timeline scrubbability, and at least in that context, it's far, far better than any other remote in existence. So I wouldn't call it am "abomination." I actually quite like it, especially inside a case. It's not perfect, far from it, but it has some unique strengths. And the v2 of that remote is much better.

to each his own. everyone has their preference. i hate touch pads in any fashion. i want physical buttons.
I had to disable the touch feature of the siri v2 remote cause the thing would just go nutty when even i so much as look at the thing, let alone when i handle it.

1 Like

Yeah - I have many generations of AppleTV, and I canā€™t specifically say which are where, as they all seem to just work - but I will say I bought one of the ā€œlatest and greatestā€ a few weeks ago, and it may well be my least favorite - or at least this new remote is -

Just curious, what specifically is it that don't you like about the new one? I'm not saying it's the best remote ever made, but it's certainly the best (and most capable) remote Apple's every offered for the AppleTV, IMO.

2 Likes

Its all the buttons - so many more options than on the simple, older remote, which I had finally gotten so used to - now, I hit the wrong buttons routinely, especially on the side - I wish they had built in an AirTag so it would easier to find - :wink:

Yeah I hear ya on the AirTag. But even if the remote just had a tiny integrated speaker, we could make it chirp, to find it when it got lost... that would've been cool too.

I have to say though, itā€™s pretty cool that the new Siri remote can turn on the ATV, my Denon receiver and Sony TV with one push of the power button. But having said that, Iā€™ve found that the remote app in control center on the iPhone does the same thing.

could be down to cec turning on the other devices, same when you power off the unit, the others will turn off. but it all depends on your setup.

but on ours we use the new apple remote, harmony elite and mobiles to control the units