Apple watch now can control volume

Well ive upgraded to IOS 15.4, TVOS15.4 and watchos8.5 today.

Some good news with this latest update…not sure i need that sofabaton x1 after all.

i just discovered that the apple watch can now control volume on airpods headsets connected to the apple tv with the digital crown. This never used to work on previous TVOS15 versions that ive been using.

You can access this functionality from the “now playing” app on the watch.

You will need to select the apple tv (vs your phone) where your airpods are connected to.

Once you do this you get the standard play/pause , skip ahead 30sec skip back 10 with digital crown control over volume, as well as the program name channels is playing, as well as a shortcut to an apple remote on the watchface.

BTW It appears apple still doesnt have a prevision to learn volume control of the airpods connected to the apple tv with an ir remote - such as the harmony remote (unless im missing something).

However, if youve got an apple watch, you now have another decent remote for watching channels when apple tv is connected to airpods, airpods pros, etc.

Cool! I wish it worked with regular speakers and soundbars too, at least the ones connected by HDMI-
ARC and CEC, and not merely AirPods.

Its crazy because the apple remote controls my home theater receiver volume via hdmi. Why cant the apple watch do the same?

Agreed, 1000%

I use the “now playing” app on my watch regularly to control my Apple TV- so much so that I have a complication to open it from the Home Screen. I’m using AirPlay speakers and for me volume control from the watch only works intermittently. There’s no discernible pattern afaict as to when it’s going to work. And it’s been that ways through multiple iOS, WatchOS and tvOS versions. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@ert This is very interesting. I was going to report that i have found it to be intermittent as well. It was working for a while, but the volume control from the crown hasnt worked for me for a couple of weeks now.

1 Like

Same reason the remote app on the phone doesnt when the sound is handed over to the amp. It can be controlled by the Apple TV accessory in the Home app but that function doesnt extend to the Home app on the watch

I can use the remote app on my phone to control my home theaters amp using the volume up/down buttons of my phone.

Ahh I didnt know that, ill try it out. thanks