Assorted Bugs and Annoyances

These bugs and annoyances have been present ever since the major redesign of the Channels tvOS app.

Sometimes, after rewinding and fast-forwarding several times in succession, the sound will develop a glitch where the audio drops-out briefly every few 10's of seconds. The only way to fix it is to bail out of the program and re-enter. Of course: If you're watching Live and are behind the timeline, well...

Speaking of timelines: Occasionally the progress bar at the bottom stops showing up. Again: The only way to get it back is bail out of the program you're watching and...

Occasionally, instead of asking "do you want to watch live or recording?" it asks "do you want to watch from the library?" Huh?

Occasionally fails to indicate a program is recording when, in fact, it is.

TBH: I wish we could have the old app back :frowning: It was much more stable. And, in both my wife's and my opinions, more user-friendly.

Related: Don't know if this is a Channels bug or tvOS: If you're watching something on Channels and fire-up screen mirroring on, say, your iPad, when you stop screen mirroring Channels is frozen-up solid. Only way to get it back is, yup: Bail out of the program you were watching and... (I thought you used to be able to do this and Channels would pick right back up, but I wouldn't swear by it.)

I've seen that before and I think the distinction here is that with the first question, the show is still in the midst of being recorded, and with the second, it's not airing right now but the entire recording is saved and available for playback.

I've seen other reports of audio issues after the tvOS 14.4 upgrade.

You can try changing Playback > Advanced > Audio Driver to Experimental.

Clicking pause then resume seems to fix this. I agree it's confusing when you come back. The timeline should be visible with the pause icon but isn't.

Nope. And, in fact, the last time it happened I bailed out, selected the show again, and it came up with the usual "recording or live?" question.

Re: Audio drop-outs...

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Re: Returning from screen mirroring...

Thanks. Yeah: Not intuitive.

I was able to make this happen today, too, by starting a recording of something in progress via the Quick Guide. Looks like a recent regression.

1 Like

My Sonos problem my also be of 14.4 issue. when driver set to experimental it is little better, but PIP is unusable because there is no sound.

Ok, I give: How does one accomplish that? Because I looked all over "Settings" and could find no way to accomplish that or anything like it.

In the settings area of the Channels app?

Specifically: Settings -> Playback -> Advanced

Ok: To somebody who's never, or rarely, been into these menus: It's not immediately clear they scroll. (Usually, when something scrolls there's a hint, such as a scroll bar [usually on the right].) So, when I first looked I'd gone into Playback, seen nothing that looked germane in there, and backed right out.

Anyway: Got it. Thanks!

So here's an interesting thing. Using our our archaic MX-500 universal remotes: The left & right joystick controls didn't work well at all. Press & hold the left ("back") button, playback would back up 10s and stop. Sometimes maybe back up more. Better going forward, but not much better.

Since turning on the experimental audio driver the left and right joystick buttons work smoothly. Nearly flawlessly