ATSC 3.0 Audio using Android/FireTV

The windows setup contains the firmware upgrade ... as I stated that is what I use.

i just use my browser to access the tuners webpage to update its firmware. no SD software installs are needed.

im just guessing, but i bet channels only uses the hdhomerun tuner API, http_api [HDHomeRun] and not anything you install from SD on your computer.

Probably not but I use them .... BDA Drivers, Configui and to Install Firmware.

sometimes the webui doesn't pick up the firmware updates. Ive had to restart my HDHR's to pick it up the new firmware download notice. If you install the app it will update all of your HDHR's in one shot so you don't have to do them one by one, that is an added benefit :-).

2 Likes

that's good feedback... i'm just wanting to clarify for the op that installing the latest hdhr app is NOT needed because channels doesnt use it. But channels DOES use the SD tuners firmware and thats what you want to keep updated with whatever method you use.

howto from SD forum Upgrading the firmware - Silicondust

So now I have upgraded my tuners to the 120522 firmware. Still the ATSC3.0 audio does not work correctly in Channels, but still works just fine in the HDHomerun app. But I don't care anymore until I really need it which may be several years.

1 Like

i promise to keep this thread alive until atsc3.0 + ac-4 is supported properly (which could be a few years) :astonished::grin::rofl::joy:

This will explain why Channels DVR might have a problem on your TV's ... maybe they cannot decode AC-4 .. The HDHomeRun APP does transcoding if your devices do not support decoding of AC-4 .. that would include your TV's and Soundsystem.

HDHomeRun apps now support ATSC 3.0 audio on more devices (mailchi.mp)

Snippet ...
How it works - if the playback device has built in support for the ATSC 3.0 audio codecs the HDHomeRun app will use the built in support. If not, the HDHomeRun app will switch to our cloud transcode service for the audio. The transcode occurs during playback and does not modify the recording. You can pause and seek like normal.

ac-4 is the culprit of all our problems.

i 100% blame the idiots at Dolby for not providing a migration path for ac-3 to ac-4. all they need to do is change their ac-4 specs to allow unlicensed transcoding to ac-3 and dolby-digital (dd 2.0) or get atsc to change atsc 3.0 specs to allow broadcasters to provide a ac-3 channel along with ac-4.

hdmi specs have a similar spec where you can unlicensed transcode hdmi video to unsecure R.G.B. video up to a max video quality.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.