ATSC 3.0 DRM status update

That guy also has some vids on the ZapperBox. That one of the 2 devices i have seen mentioned floating around forms that can view DRM channels.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Zapperbox or ADTH with HDMI capture device.

One of the reviewers of the ADTH device noted that HDMI output is protected and he was able to use a capture device. Its just an Android box with a custom app on top, so it might be possible to use it with the ah4c project.

Reviewer did note it ran hot and users on other forms have noted a myriad if playback issues. Downside over a gateway box like a Homerun device is it only has a single tuner.

Would like to add more to this conversation on a technical level and how futile it is to encrypt using something like Widevine. As far as I am aware A3SA uses Widevine Level 1 encryption as stated on some old SD forum post. That is known. Thing is, Widevine as far as I am aware is mainly intended for VOD playback on streaming sites. Thus the process of obtaining keys for every episode of a show is a processes in itself. But when utilized on less then a dozen linear live broadcasts, once keys are obtained there is no need to bother with the process again. That's because keys for live 24/7 linear programing utilizing Widevine are STATIC and thus stay the same for months if not years at a time. What will probably inevitably happen is that someone will just pull the keys using the common method used for VOD service, perhaps with modification for RF tv tuner software instead of manifests, then share the keys as well as create unauthorized plugins to be installed on Smart TVs that already have ATSC 3.0 tuners but no DRM functionality. This is my personal theory at least. I'm not THAT aware of what A3SA encrypted streams look like since I do not have a 3.0 tuner device so I am just kind of guessing with what I do know on web material.

THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF PIRACY, MERELY A PERSONAL THEORY OF WHAT I SUSPECT WILL HAPPEN FROM WHAT I KNOW OF WV.

3 Likes