ATSC 3.0 HDR on Fox NFL Packers vs 49ers

I think my local FOX station, KSAS, broadcast the game and the next show in HDR because the picture was super dark, even worse than playing HDR UHD Blu-ray on a TV that doesn’t support it. It is still super dark as I type this.

I assume my HDHomerun Flex 4K doesn’t know what to do with HDR. I had the same issue in the HDHomerun app. So it is not Channels DVR’s fault. The ATSC 1.0 broadcast worked fine.

The other game on ABC was only in stereo even though the stats said 6 channel AC4. Again, the ATSC 1.0 broadcast was fine in AC3.

The HDHomeRun box won't have anything to do with HDR on the clients - it's just passing bits, no more, no less. It's more likely an issue on the source, or something on your client.

Which client are you on?

I’m on Apple TV. Again, same issue using the HDHomerun app itself.

I got this from the station. They are Sinclair-owned.

“Yes we are converting to HDR. That card has locked up again. Getting someone to reset.

Jim”

The station was nice enough to answer some other questions. I think you all might be interested. I asked about full power because one of my stations breaks up a little. Couldn’t remember which one.

Can I ask a few more questions? Is the ATSC 3.0 broadcast at full power?

Yes we are at full licensed power on a new solid state Rohde transmitter.

Are the other guys at full power?

Yes everyone is at full power.

When are you planning to switch over to 4K?

4K is a way down the road. There is almost no programming provided in 4K. We are pushing the FCC to eliminate the requirement to air all channels on 1.0. There is little public awareness now and no compelling reason the buy 3.0 tvs…but we’re pushing!

Is everyone cramming their ATSC 3.0 broadcasts onto a couple of frequencies in order to run the 5 year clock out on ATSC 1.0 channels so they can reuse those frequencies for ATSC 3.0?

There is a problem in smaller markets with there not being enough stations to broadcast 3.0 and 1.0. Wichita is the rare market with two 3.0 stations.

Or will everyone keep 1.0 alive until more people have 3.0 tuners?

As above, required by FCC.

Finally, are you planning to add DRM to your main channel like NBC did?

That’s one reason we have not implemented DRM…lots of early receivers don’t support it. NBC require it. My HD Homerun network tuner does not support DRM yet. So I can’t receive that one.