ATSC 3.0 / HEVC on AppleTV HD (non 4K)

I have one older non-4K appleTV, and recently got some ATSC 3.0 channels (assuming using HEVC). When trying to watch these channels I get a lot of stuttering, and basically have to revert to the ATSC1.0 feeds. I downloaded the HDHomerun app for AppleTV, and the channels play smoothly. I've also tried the experimental video decoder with no improvement. Any suggestions? The AppleTV is hardwired.

Known issue. Only works reliably on 4K models.

Is this something that is fixable, or does the non-4K model simply lack the processing power to handle the stream?

The same issue happens when watching DVR recordings from ATSC 3.0 channels. If there was built-in support for offline transcoding that would help.

My workaround is to watch the recordings on my iPhone, and then airplay them to the Apple TV. That works fine.

EDIT - additional workaround; in the DVR server configuration I changed the playback streaming quality and force it to 8MBPS for that specific device. The realtime-transcoded stream doesn’t have the stuttering issue (though it does introduce a longer delay to start streaming).