ATSC 3.0 Slow/Unable to Tune

On the client device.

Settings > Playback > Advanced

thanks, i'll give that a try. I'm not sure I understand what it does though.

it didn't seem to have any positive affect. I'm wondering if I need to improve my signal strength with a preamp?

Does it work in the official HDHR app

Yes, channel tuning takes about 3 seconds vs 10 +/-

I have this issue in the Cincinnati market, but only on 1 of the 4 ATSC 3.0 stations. It even gives up and will tune the Dayton NBC affiliate (ATSC 1.0) after it times out, which seems to be a very short time. I think it's more related to the station's technology because it performs worse than the others too.

Just for fun I'll try it with tuner sharing off, but I don't see how this will affect anything when I seldom use more than 1 tuner at a time until football season.

It will cut out an extra network hop. Without tuner sharing, the client communicates directly with the tuner itself. With tuner sharing, the client asks the DVR for the stream, and the DVR handles communication with the tuner.

3 Likes

Which client ?

i use amazon fire tv cubes and sticks

Anecdotal at this point, but the few times I've tuned the troublesome station it doesn't give up and tune the NBC affiliate from the next city. Perhaps the slight extra lag when tuning from the extra hop is enough to cause the issue?

I'll horse around with it for a week or so to see. Not really important to me, I'm just curious. I think this whole ATSC 3.0 thing is going to be a thorn in our sides for years to come. Or, I should say at least the Cincinnati stations make me think that. YMMV.

In the aggregate, anecdotal evidence seems to disprove your worries. ATSC 3.0 is more resilient to interference, and therefore can sustain better signals in poorer conditions. Your experience of poor quality when ATSC 1.0 networks have great reception seems contrary to most others' experience.

In that case would a pre-amp help me out here? I can't seem to determine why the channel changing is so slow.

I get great signals on the ATSC channels. The issue is choppiness and audio sync, most of which has been fixed except the one NBC affiliate where it's unwatchable. Here's the quick and dirty for me:

1. 23 miles north of Cincy, huge terrain issue, so I never got any 1.0 channels.
  2. 40+ miles south of Dayton, get all 1.0 channels great. Nice and flat all the way there.
  3. Cincy stations use a "lighthouse tower" I think they call it, the 4 major channels put their 3.0 channels on it. It's on a huge hill sitting on the terrain I mentioned previously, so I get solid green 100% bars in all categories for all 4 channels.
  4. Initial rollout week last fall I had huge issues with all channels lagging, poor audio sync, etc. Since then they seem to have tweaked and fixed, except WLWT 105.1. Horrible lags when tuning, audio sync goes in and out, and all 4 just don't seem to be as sharp and colorful as the 1.0 counterparts in Dayton.
  5. I see a server CPU upgrade in my future, it seems to choke a bit on HEVC.

If it works on the HDHR app then it should work on the channels app. But.... I'll tell you that the firestick does not work well on ATSC3 with channels. One of the multitude of reasons that my firesticks are in the trash now and I have AppleTV's on every TV.

3 Likes

You don't necessarily need a pre-amp. Depending on where your antenna is, you can just put the HD HomeRun directly next to the antenna, then run ethernet (which is much more "reliable" than a weak signal on coax) down to wherever you need the TV signal.
One just naturally imagines that one needs to have the HD Homerun box next to the TV, but that's not so, it can be anywhere ethernet can go...

I have my HD HomeRun connected to my antenna by a tiny 1-inch coax connector so there's about as minimal signal reduction as possible.

1 Like

Its important though to get a baseline signal level from the start and then see what you have to work with. The only potential negative thing about coax runs are attenuation (assuming you dont have twist on radio shack f connectors or breaks in the cable etc). You would think that you would always want the shortest rg6 run possible under all circumstances. But depending on your signal level it probably doesn't matter at all. 100ft of rg6 is going to lose about 2.5dB on VHF and 5dB on UHF. If you only have 20-30 feet of cable then your loss is minuscule.
I have my antenna feeding a 4 way splitter from a 30ft rg6 run. The 4-way looses 7dB and i still have a 9db attenuator added in front of the splitter. (My towers are 12miles from me).

My recommendation to those folks that think they need an amp...
Tune your antenna to get the best average signal across all channels then get your signal level right off the antenna to see what you are working with. Then add in your splitters etc and see what you have after that. Pre amps/signal amps etc may not be necessary, they are a solution to a problem. Make sure you have a problem to solve before implementing a solution.

How do you get your signal level? A signal meter would be nice but you can use your HDHR. Get the ios app signal gh. Then tune every tuner you have to a different station. Get the best average signal and then add your splitters etc and see where you are. If you do need an amp, add it as close to the antenna as possible. If the signal says 100% on every station (like mine), add cable attenuators until you get it just below 100%. HDHR's dont like to be overdriven...

But bottom line is cable, splitters, and even long cable runs are not bad as long as you have the headroom to work with...

2 Likes

After running for a week, in the end, there was no difference. Sometimes it tunes the ATSC 3.0 channel I clicked, about 25% of the time it loads the affiliate from the next city which is ATSC 1.0.

The server box is 10 years old and kinda slow, guessing an upgrade would fix this? Until then, no biggie.

Are you 100% sure the ATSC3 tuner is available when asking for it? Sometimes when changing channels or turning a channel off, the tuner will "hang" for a bit so maybe it's "in use" (kinda).

Just a theory/thought.

Nah, I'm using this to monitor. Pretty much shows me exactly what's happening. He hasn't mentioned any ports to other operating systems, but if you have Win10 or 11 it's very nice to have. I run it on an old second monitor I have attached to my HTPC/server.

I gave up on my 3.0 channels. Regular ones come through fine and record fine. I may try some of the "fixes" noted above.