ATSC 3.0 Transition information

That is for Viewing Cable Premium Channels not ATSC 3.0 which is a different type of DRM.

Almost, not quite yet.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=390156#p390156

1 Like
3 Likes

@6:15 Adding DRM encryption on signals that some NextGen tuners simply can't decode definitely add a hurdle but there is a very valid reason for it that I will explain in a future video. ????

He made it sound that if You Have an ATSC 3.0 Tuner you would have to exchange it to be able to view DRM.... when it is available.

1 Like

Swapout is ONLY true for the "Zapperbox" at present. The HDHR 4k tuners all came with encryption box keys. All that's required, is for SiliconDust to get final approval, and then release a new firmware that will aloow decoding of encrypted channels.

Now, whether or NOT Channels DVR will be able to then handle that decoded stream, remains to be seen. It might NOT be allowed to be viewed outside the actual HDHR app itself, to preserve the encrypted signal.

1 Like

There was talk a bit ago about keys or algorithms being burned in at the factory in a binary blob. Not field programmable or able to be updated once shipped.

1 Like

Burned keys are only required for devices with HDMI output.

Speculation here is useless. Until HDHR and A3SA reach an agreement we have no idea what the technical requirements will be or how feasible it will be for apps to implement.

9 Likes

If it comes to this, I would be in favor of contributing to a Channels Kickstarter campaign to add DRM functionality.

1 Like

I would too

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

I would too.

In a heartbeat.

This probably will need more funding than SiliconDust kickstarter to add ATSC 3.0

2 Likes

Agreed. This was from 7 years ago and you know the cost has doubled or tripled since then.

1 Like

It'd be cheaper to lobby congress and AARP

1 Like

Here's a non-paywall version of that article: https://www.broadcastbeat.com/innovation-takes-off-in-atsc-3-0-realm-first-wave-entrepreneurs-see-huge-interest/

2 Likes

Here is a video of the session w/Silicon Dust Nick Kelsey

ATSC 3.0 Monetization Webinar Series p.6

And a later video also w/Nick from CES 2021 - ATSC : NextGen TV
ATSC 3.0 at the Consumer's Fingertips

2 Likes

I was reading an older article yesterday about ATSC 3.0 and one of the things they talked about is that with its ability to utilize internet along with it, they can have two way communication. And then they can sell cloud DVR and use targeted advertising and so forth.

So there's a method to their madness. It's profit at any price now in our society and nobody is looking out for the little guy anymore.

3 Likes