ATSC 3.0 Transition information

Sadly this might be the case for me. Without OTA it forces me into higher tier cost for TVE. If OTA stopped tomorrow. I would cancel Channels DVR. Signup for hulu live and go back to PLEX for my local content.

The integration of TVE+OTA is what got me to buy CDVR. Channels has added lots of awesome features. (Favorite feature is virtual channels). But without that integration idk.

I hope DRM gets dropped in atsc 3.0 or the roll out takes several years and my ATSC 1.0 still works.

Reading all the post in this thread has been depressing. I used to be rxcited for atsc 3.0 with 4k content. Not anymore.

1 Like

Hearst broadcasting turned on encryption today for their WTAE ATSC 3.0 signal in Pittsburgh.

I blasted them on Twitter (@hearst). Everybody else that is similarly impacted by them should do the same.

They did this even though their 1.0 tower in the Pittsburgh area is far south of the city and notoriously difficult for everyone to pick up. There was a repeater closer to the city that they conveniently shut down not long after the ATSC 3. 0 signal went live.

SiliconDust was able to add DRM support to their player. If it becomes a huge problem wondering if we could raise money to add the support to channels.

Can you record DRM ? or Silicondust adding DRM is just a rumor as I see no announcement?

My wild guess is they would need to make the tuner hardware to be able to get this "privilege".

You would have to check but I thought the DRM support was added in 2016.

1 Like

That is for Viewing Cable Premium Channels not ATSC 3.0 which is a different type of DRM.

Almost, not quite yet.

https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=390156#p390156

1 Like
3 Likes

@6:15 Adding DRM encryption on signals that some NextGen tuners simply can't decode definitely add a hurdle but there is a very valid reason for it that I will explain in a future video. ????

He made it sound that if You Have an ATSC 3.0 Tuner you would have to exchange it to be able to view DRM.... when it is available.

1 Like

Swapout is ONLY true for the "Zapperbox" at present. The HDHR 4k tuners all came with encryption box keys. All that's required, is for SiliconDust to get final approval, and then release a new firmware that will aloow decoding of encrypted channels.

Now, whether or NOT Channels DVR will be able to then handle that decoded stream, remains to be seen. It might NOT be allowed to be viewed outside the actual HDHR app itself, to preserve the encrypted signal.

1 Like

There was talk a bit ago about keys or algorithms being burned in at the factory in a binary blob. Not field programmable or able to be updated once shipped.

1 Like

Burned keys are only required for devices with HDMI output.

Speculation here is useless. Until HDHR and A3SA reach an agreement we have no idea what the technical requirements will be or how feasible it will be for apps to implement.

9 Likes

If it comes to this, I would be in favor of contributing to a Channels Kickstarter campaign to add DRM functionality.

1 Like

I would too

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

I would too.

In a heartbeat.

This probably will need more funding than SiliconDust kickstarter to add ATSC 3.0

2 Likes