ATSC 3.0 very slow to tune

Still no 3.0 tuning time improvements? Grrrrrrrrrrr!

@speedingcheetah did you send on the diagnostics here? Can't blame lack of answering if not...

Yes, I have multiple times over the course of the last couple months

1 Like

I don't know what they're spending their time on, but Android client bugs that were pointed out over 6 months ago have gone unaddressed.

I'm going to guess they're spending most of their time working on something else these days and just doing enough here to keep the lights on. They probably decided the end is nigh with TVE support thinning, cable card sunset, and ATSC 3.0 all on the horizon.

1 Like

Right, but the biggest change has been identifying that HLS-fed items bypass this issue - that's fairly new and a good data point to point out.

Well, there went my only workaround for the slow tuning time.

2 Likes

Yea. I know, like i said. Have submitted diags, before and after, and during. Many times. Even sent support emails. Nothing. Devs do not seem to care or acknowledge this particular issue.

I also find out, that PBS, later this month is converting to ATSC 3.0 as well. So, even more of my local networks with be 3.0, no idea if they will be DRM or not, but would not be surprised.

It is just an annoyance level issue, at this point, however, as more of my market is going the 3.0 route, it will be a bigger issue for me as time goes on.

1 Like

Can you make a 30s tuner capture from channel 105.1

Setting Original Quality Delivery to Stream should achieve the same thing. Is that not working for you?

1 Like

But.. that would also affect everything, TVE and custom channels, yes? The previous setting only affected HDHR.
EDIT: Yes. setting that to Stream then forces all channels to go through the Server and shows HLS active.
I just want HDHR channels to, ideally, only just the 3.0 channels, but guess that is not possible as the settings does not detect the source attributes. If it did, it could see the ATSC 3.0 specs, and switch to HLS, if 1.0, then be direct.
But, for just the 2 3.0 stations, soon to me a few more though, rather deal with the tune delay than to affect all other 100+ channels.
Not sure why yall can't just figure out and fix the long tune issue... maybe it is as other's have mentioned, it just due to how my (and other certain markets) is? But that still not really a solution to say, never gonna fix this.

I'm willing to look into this issue if you can provide debugging information. I need a capture from the tuner to see if there is some issue specific to your market.

Capture? What u mean? A recording form the dvr? I have sent in diags from the client app several times, with and with out HLS enabled.

1 Like

Does it work if you remove the slash after .22

That was it. lol :rofl: :upside_down_face:

Here is capture from 105.1 KSTP/ABC

Here is capture from 123.1 WUCW (The CW)

2 Likes

Thanks. Please install latest TestFlight build for Apple TV (10.3.29), tune both channels then submit diagnostics

2 Likes

Done

Thanks. Is it slow every time or is it randomly faster sometimes?

I have had it randomly tune a bit faster, but still, never any where near the 2-3 sec of the HDHR app that tunes fast every single time.